What is the main purpose for a heated mirror?

its summer time here and my friend got the 2019 Civic. He had his equipped with heated mirrors. the sales agent said it will be helpful in the winter but when would we use it?

Is the heat suppose to melt the ice that is built up on the mirror? is it suppose to defrost moisture that is on the mirror?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Really don't know. I think it was some added "BLING". None of my cars had that and the times the mirror has been fogged up has been "MAYBE half dozen times in 50+ years. Temp. in my neighborhood gets to -30 below average temperature in the winter. If the car is moving, the wind that blows against a car windshield or around a mirror is like a pistol hairdryer and evaporates the mist on the windows...making them clear.

. I drove Slug bug so it never had heat(which is normal for the bug) and yet my windows and mirrors stayed clear if I cracked open a door window a half inch while driving. Your breathing fogs up windows. The bit of cool air swirling around dries up that air and sucks it out of the car.

. Not theory...proven in practice.

. Ice & snow does not stick to the glass which is the same temperature as the outside(COLD)

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

wrong, here in Maine, every jan /feb/ I have to scrape the ice off my outside mirrors after an ice storm

• Login to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

In areas were it snows it melts the snow and ice off so you can see clearly, and it also unfog's the mirror!

• 6 months ago

The mirror heater probably only works when the back window defroster is on. The mirror heater does keep ice and snow from sticking to the mirror.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, Skippy... The heat is intended to melt any ice that's built up on the mirror. It works similar to the heated rear window.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

In the winter time and certain times of the Fall fog mist or ice can collect on your mirror and then you turn on the heated mirror to clear the mirror up.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Look at you figuring it out all by yourself. Hard to believe you're a donald trump supporter

• 6 months ago

If you are talking the outside mirrors, heating them is about the same as heating the rear window. It helps quite a bit, actually. Defogs them if only cool and/or rainy weather and will defrost them if cold. Now, if only we could get an easy way to desalt those mirrors.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

clears ice, frost, condensation

• Will
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It can melt a thin layer of ice and can act as a defogger, like the coils on the rear window do.

Source(s): They're common on commercial vehicles
  • 6 months ago

It's designed mostly to UNFOG the mirrors. You and your friend will be surprised by how often that comes in handy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.