Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 10 months ago

Should I let my daughter drive across state lines?

I have a 17 year old daughter and she's brought up the idea of driving up to Milwaukee (we live in Chicago) with her friends in October (she'll be 18 in November) Is it safe to let her? Her friends parents are on board, but I'm still on the fence about it. any thoughts?

• Lolly

Would it be more fun on Amtrak?

She's almost 18. That's old enough.

• DEBS

If you'd allow her to travel to Peoria with these friends, then there is no reason to not allow travel to Milwaukee. I'm not sure what state lines have to do with it.

• drip

Driving over the state line is your concern? How many are going. Where are they going, what will they be doing. Are they driving back late at night? Are the staying the night, where , with who? Who is driving. Have they driven on the highway? How long have they been driving.

Milwaukee isn’t that far. That they would drive over a state line would be not be one of my concerns

That's your and her decision BUT I want to warn you that the "Edens Connector" between the Tri-State Tollway and the Edens Expressway is all torn up, and is quite treacherous.

Also the connecting Interstate highway is undergoing huge renovations between Racine and the Milwaukee airport area, and it will be difficult to navigate all of the blockades.

This construction will continue until November or December.

Source(s): I frequently drive from Skokie IL to Glendale WI, and it is a real mess. (My last trip was 8 days ago - and it is a doozy.)
  • Carson

I don't think anyone here knows your daughter well enough to make this decision

Is she responsible, follow your rules and is she a competent driver?

Give her boundaries, rules etc and the expectations you have of her checking in so many times a day at X time.