Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 months ago

Why don't old people understand/get technology?

It seems like no matter how many times you try to explain how to use technology, they never get it.

Also, another question. Would you say that today's young adults are becoming more tech-savvy or subservient to technology? Also, who is more intellectual, groups of older people that have learned to exist without the use of modern technology or today's technology-addicted teens and young adults?

It varies with the person. I know some who could practically program an App for your phone. Then there are others who struggle to work a spreadsheet, take a picture or text. It depends on how willing someone is to learn something new and incorporate it into practice.

• khaz

Great intelligent answer! That is the ultimate answer!

Wow. Where did you get your data from? All the older people I know use technology.

Today"s technology I personally don't understand it it is difficult I was born in the 50's we did not have cell phones or computers back then I am getting old indeed

• Lili

I was born in the 50s, too. So were most of my friends. We don't have any trouble with cell phones or computers.

Kids don't understand technology, they think Facebook and/or Instagram is the schoolyard to the world. It will come back to bite them in the ***.

This is not technology. You are just learning like a monkey to deal with a GUI or interface or whatever overlay the software developer used. Years and decades from now all this knowledge will be useless exactly like telex machines, facsimile etc

For instance an engineer using software package is for sure not more intellectual from a 1960s engineer patching an analog computer. In fact the later has more insight and understanding of the system compared to the current one. This why for instance Apollo program and most military workhorse weapons were designed in this era.

• Joseph

Some do, some do not. I read somewhere the ones who use Email live to be 100.

I am 69. I see no point in having a cellphone glued to my ear all the time, trying to multi-task wile driving, even spending time playing video games. Life consists of more than the things you possess, or the amount of things you can do with your gizmos. Many of us don't need all those apps or need to share everything we do with others. Take the time to watch nature. Listen to the trees clapping and sighing in the breeze. How many hawks have you seen this week? How many songs does a mockingbird have that are not bird songs? Ever seen 200 robins and cedar waxwings migrate through your neighborhood? Or watched a monarch migration?

• khaz

Man i am 80s baby and we was taught to respect our elders I love your response man what a comeback.

It's not just an old people thing, there are many young people who simply have no interest in technology past what is necessary for their generation. People in general are reluctant to learn past their comfort zone, which is generally low across the board. Add to this that older people begin to develop memory and focus issues, but even then, if the old person was heavy into technology in their youth, they will still run rings around most of your average young people who are only interested in the bare minimum. With four decades of personal experience as an adult with people, I would say that it's not just about lack of interest, but rather most people seem to lack the intellectual ability, which is why most people are not in highly intellectual fields, where even the ones I see in those fields for the money are not that good at their jobs.

"It seems like no matter how many times you try to explain how to use technology, they never get it." Rather like spirituality!

I know many old people and they understand technology very well my friend.