Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

can i eat 500 calories a day?

i wanna eat 500 calories day to lose weight

but everyone keeps telling me

- don’t do it

- your gonna gain it all back

but here’s the thing

why do doctors recommend it to obese people this diet?

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

There are people so obese that it is life threatening, and even then, they are cautious about minimum calories. A 500 calorie diet over an extended period gets treated by your body as a fast. It will burn muscle. It will lower your metabolism. It causes coordination problems. People in famine make more mistakes and have more accidents. When you finally end the famine, your body has learned that there will be feast and famine and people put on more weight than before the famine to prepare for the next famine.

Bottom line - Your body does what it wants to do, not what you want it to do.

History shows it. Besides which, you should be incredibly hungry all the time. If that's what you want to do, try it. There are no laws against it.

Just don't complain after three months off the diet if you weigh more than before.

Experts that have no money-making incentive agree that 1000 to 1100 calories a day of mostly vegetables and added lean protein will get you to proper weight in a reasonable time. It took a long time to put on the weight and trying to lose it too quickly causes loose skin, bad attitude, often nutrient problems, and in some cases your own body can poison itself. Pollutants from the environment and some chemicals in food build up in fat and burn the fat quickly and the body cant clean itself inside fast enough.

In the long run, to maintain a healthy weight and optimum nutrition you should be eating healthy diet. If you start that way on controlled portions and cautious about "bad" food and just start on lower calories, it is much easier to maintain the weight loss. If you start a weird diet it is harder to change to a healthy one.

try eating your recommended amount of calories per day, not 500. and exercise! i’ve been using a rowing machine 1 hour per day and it helps alot!

Well doctor never suggests that because it can effect your metabolism, so try to add more calories

too low. atleast eat 1500

Doctors only ever recommend a very low calorie diet (and not this low!) if the person involved is morbidly obese--like 100 lbs or more overweight, and even then the diet is only done with close monitoring by the doctor.

You'll note people on shows like The Greatest Loser go on harsh diets and exercise regimes--and most of them gain it all back after.

• joe

Any doctor that recommends a 500 calorie daily diet is an idiot! Plain and simple an IDIOT! Females need at least 1200 calories a day usually more. My wife lost 100 pounds in a year at age 64 eating around 1350 calories daily. Her story is at http://weightlossjourney.info/ The getting started page explains how she got started. To maintain her weight she now needs about 1775 calories a day.

Best wishes and don't be stupid by only eating 500 calories a day, it is not healthy, not sustainable and can seriously affect your health and mental state.

• zeno

Go with a Hollywood diet and fast 18 hours

A day. Eat what you want after that. Fasting

Takes weight off. I only do the diet on the

Week ends. It is a slower way to take off

Weight and easier if you work long hours.

just eat less carbs or follow the keto diet and move around/work out more

I would recommend what I’m doing, 1200-1500 calories a day. All healthy food, and workout at least 4 times a week (I do 7) I’ve had great results and it causes less risk of gaining it all back. On a 500 cal diet you normally lose a lot over like the first two weeks then everything starts slowing down including your energy. If you want I can send you my exact diet if you want to see what someone else is eating.

Its not healthy to eat under 1200 calories a day