Breakthrough asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

How long does it take to lose weight?

I'm eating about 1000 calories a day right now

I'm losing weight but not as fast as I want

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

As long as it takes. Eating less than 1,000 calories a day can actually decrease your weight loss because your body will slow down your metabolism. A healthy and reasonable FAT loss (not just water weight) is 1-2 pounds per week. IF you eat a healthy diet focused on nutrient-dense vegetables, small amounts of lean protein, and small amounts of healthy fats, you will provide your body with the fuel it needs. If you also create a calorie deficit of 500-700 calories per day based on your current BMR, you will lose weight. If you expect faster weight loss, it is your expectations that are out of line, not your diet. Sorry.

Weight loss is hard. Keeping it off is even harder. That's why it is so important to adopt an eating plan/lifestyle that you can stick with. It doesn't take that much to starve yourself for a month, but the weight loss won't last if you don't come to grips with changing your habits for long term success. People who are overweight have gotten into the habit of eating too much of the "wrong" types of foods so that they are storing extra calories as fast. Find an eating plan you can stick with that delivers a combination of good nutrition, enjoyment, and fullness so that you can be at a healthy weight without feeling tempted or deprived.

• 4 months ago

Depends on what calories you expend vs what you eat. Roughly a 500 calorie deficit eacxh day is 1lb lost a week.

1000 calories is generally far too low unless under medical advice, a woman should have 1200 and a man 1500 minumum.

Too low and your body can slow the metabolism to retain weight as it thinks there is a food shortage.

Fast weight loss is also not good, its been found that if you lose slowly you tend to keep it off easier in the long term. Fast weight loss can also lead to the formation of gallstones, most people have a few but the more you have the more likely you are to end up with a very painful problem requiring surgery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.