Can you get arrested for making threats in a diary/journal?

I’m a freshman, and I get bullied a lot in school. Like a lot. People call me racial slurs and everything. Stuff you can’t even imagine. So to get my stress out I write deep threats in my book to keep me calm and not to fight anyone. For example: John made me pissed today, I wish he was dead.

Favorite Answer

That's not a threat. A threat would be:

John pissed me off today; I'm going to kill him.

No. But if John found said Diary he could take it to the police. Or it could be evidence against you if John was harmed by someone else. There was a serial killer who got caught because he wrote about his victims in a diary.

• Logan

No, but if you carry out the threats it will be pretty damning evidence at a trial.

• Marli

If you guarantee that no one - NO ONE [triple underline] sees it but you. I've vented in my journal many times. It lets off an incredible amount of steam, IMO and makes me think more clearly about my situation.

If John gets hurt, if someone heard you threaten him or if someone read your diary and informed the police, you will be under police investigation and you might be arrested as a suspect.

"No Letters. No Lawyers."

• Cogito

That's not a threat.

But if someone making you feel pissed is enough to make you wish they were dead, it's YOU who needs help and who is in the wrong.

I know some people can be terrible bullies but to wish their death is a huge overreaction.

If this diary of yours is on paper and kept in a secure place, no-one will ever know what you've written.

But if it's in the internet in any shape or form, it's effectively in the public domain and if anyone saw you writing stuff like that, yes, it's possible you could get a visit from the police - particularly if John was hurt or killed. You could well become a suspect.

No...................