why does it take longer for light to reach from mars than sun?

• Athena

Mars is further away.

• John P

It is some of the time, but at other times the time is shorter. Some of the time Mars is on the other side of the Sun form Earth, sometimes it is closer to Earth than the Sun is.

Light does not emanate from Mars, it does from the Sun. There may be reflected light from Mars but "light" (inside our solar system) emanates from our local primary (we call it the Sun). As for your question, I think that you have made a slight error in syntax (or basic grammar). If you meant to write "why does light from Mars take longer to reach us (observers)compared to the sun, simple, Mars light is reflected light originally from the sun, we see the reflected light.

You left too much out of your question. Depends on where the source of light exists and the distances involved.

It depends where earth and Mars are on their orbits. Sometimes they are 48 million miles apart. Sometimes 242 million miles.

Earth and mars both orbit the sun, and at different rates. There are times when mars is at further distance from earth than the sun, and that is when it takes light longer to reach earth.

At present, Mars is just east of the sun on the far side of the sun.

Your Question does not make sense

Source(s): Like Bears on Unicycles
    • Toruko

Whoa. I saw the same Canadian bears.

Basic truths like this can only be explained in terms of a flat Earth that was created 6,000 years ago. Don't listen to the Satanists and their 'science' AKA deception.

Depends on where Mars is... when Earth and Mars are at their closest approach, light takes about 4 minutes to reach Earth from Mars... when Mars is on the far side of the sun, it can take about 20 minutes. (The sun's light takes about 8 1/3 minutes to reach us...)

• ?

-- 'cause mars is like the stinky cousin of the planets and light is like "dude bro I know I don't have any control over the direction in which I travel, but I don't gotta be happy about it."

• David

The distance is greater and besides Mars does not emit any light because it is a planet and not a star.