Why won't my car's sunroof open?

I just bought a 1989 Toyota Camry LE which is all around a great car except it has just one problem. The Sunroof won't open. I can push the switch and hear the motor running, but it doesn't move. What could the problem be?

1 year ago

You paid $700 ish for it. Repair could easily be $200-300.

1 year ago

Not worth fixing for sure.

• Ron
    1 year ago

My guess would be something is broke

1 year ago

It's broken and doesn't sound like you'll be fixing it yourself. Could be gears, cables, tracks, weatherstripping . . . . . and usually costs a lot to have them fix. Probably not worth it - if you're lucky, it doesn't leak in the rain.

• CB
    1 year ago

With a car of that vintage it would better to just leave the sunroof closed and sealed. Very expensive to fix a sunroof as the entire headliner needs to be pulled and if it won't close the vehicle will need to be pulled indoors to keep it from getting flooded with rain (or a heave piece of plastic and some very good duct tape over the opening

• 1 year ago

Stripped cables.

• 1 year ago

Go get it looked at could also just be the switch I have the same prob with my Scion TC

• 1 year ago

It could be a number of things. The track could be jammed or the motor could just be too weak to move it. I would suggest googling the issue along with the year and make of your car. You might find a forum of other Camry owners talking about the most common failures in the sunroof.