Chae-won asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

Can a cop who is a first responder ignore informed consent?

Police often times get to an accident scene before EMS. Can the cops remove your clothes if you say, "no". Can they ignore, "Inforned Consent". I am OCD and BiPolar. Not manic right now.

• .
    Favorite Answer

A police officer cannot strip you naked as would occur on intake to an adult correctional facility. But the officer has a right to perform a pat down for weapons and a search incident to arrest. Most departments require a female officer to perform the search if possible.

If someone is injured in an accident, the cop might want to help, but unless he's trained, he should not put his hands on you if trained medics are in route. MAYBE they could cut some of your clothing off, if it was required in freeing you from a car that is in danger of catching on fire.

I don't think a cop could do that. I remember having anaphylactic shock once and I was coming in and out of consciousness but I was awake as they whisked me through the emergency room waiting room and it was at that time they ripped my shirt off (I'm a guy so no big deal). I remember the faces in the Emergency room perk up like they finally had something interesting going on. I had my running shorts on and they left that alone. I don't think the cops would do anything like that unless your life was obviously in immediate jeopardy. They will wait for trained personnel. There is lots of training to protect themselves from being sued later.

• Chae-won

I heard about HIPAA and they have to cover and Informed Consent must be respected. largely. I was on an EMS site and saw where one EMS guy was bragging about crossing his arms, legs wide and staring in the poor patient's eyes. Umm, duress. Illegal. I couldn't believe what I saw.

A cop absolutely can't cut off your clothes against your will unless you're unconscious. Even EMS only does this to see the extent of your injuries in the privacy of an ambulance. Nobody should be exposing your body outdoors by cutting off your clothes unless you're on fire.

Where I live, cops generally don't touch patients until we get there. If this happened to you then you need to report it to their internal affairs division or to the state police because that's not right. Cops don't normally do this, they're barely supposed to be involved in patient care at all.

Source(s): NYS EMT
  • Pippin

Not sure why anyone would need to remove your clothes due to an accident. If you are bleeding badly, they can apply pressure THROUGH clothes.

• y

Need more info actually. If they believe you may be injured and or, believe you may not be thinking clearly. They can then remove what clothing is necessary for them to see how injured you are.