If you don't want to be a bridesmaid (ever), how can you tell friends or relatives that you can't do it without coming off as rude?

I'm all happy for people getting married and such, but the whole bridesmaid thing isn't my scene. Not to mention that I can barely relate to other women, and I'd most likely unintentionally kill the joy for everyone around me who gets right into this feminine stuff. I also don't have much money to... show more I'm all happy for people getting married and such, but the whole bridesmaid thing isn't my scene. Not to mention that I can barely relate to other women, and I'd most likely unintentionally kill the joy for everyone around me who gets right into this feminine stuff.

I also don't have much money to begin with. I'm not really the most responsible person when it comes to money and spend most of it on a whim - such as travel expenses or even just spending money on my hobbies (which I do an awful lot). I downsize on everything responsible people normally buy and have a bank account with next to nothing in it.

However, I don't want to just say "I'm sorry. I don't want to be your bridesmaid because I'm a d!ck who spends all my money on myself. I'd most likely sleep in for dress fittings and I'd be the weirdo in the corner not talking to the other women." The hard thing is, you can't just say that to people... even though that sentence is basically a parody of my life in general.

While I do love these people and I'm very happy some people are all into that falling in love stuff, I just wouldn't fit into that scene at all, nor would I have the money or the energy to put into the responsibilities. I would still love to be a guest and help out when I can, considering the wedding is for a friend I have had for about 5 years.
Update: What's with all the assumptions? Obviously I was asked otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Geeze, I was right all along about women being catty.