Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 12 months ago

What to do when interrupted during prayer?

I follow the Christian religion and I often have family interrupt me while praying, am I being rude to god by answering to family in the middle of praying? Will god be mad with me for it? Does it mean that prayer doesn’t count?

Favorite Answer

I feel the same way as you, so if the 'phone rings, I either leave it and 'phone the person back later, or do what I do when it rings and I already have a visitor. I say, "Please excuse me Lord" then I answer the 'phone and either say "Can I call you back?" or if it's something important get it dealt with and get back to praying and just say, "I am so sorry for that interruption Lord." because I believe it is rude to just break off as if God isn't there. We wouldn't do that to anyone else, so why should we do that to God our heavenly Father?

The other thing we can do is what Jesus said, "Go into our closet and pray in secret etc." That's not always easy. But I do agree with you that it's rude to interrupt our Lord when we are being respectful one minute then answering someone as if we weren't really praying to anyone in the first place. Either we believe God is there and He hears and feels sadness and pain and rejection just like us, or we don't believe He's really there - in which case, why bother praying in the first place if you get my point?"

• Dv8s

You're prayers can wait until after you tend to your family, take care of them, and then you may continue your prayer. God won't be mad, and your prayer counts. He's not going anywhere, and your prayers can be said anytime, night or day.

No, it's not rude, God won't be mad with you for it, and no, it doesn't meant that th prayer won't count. God would PREFER it if you say, "I'll be right with you after I finish praying," but he understands our situations.

• David

Just resume your prayer where you were interrupted.

It happens to me regularly too. I am the only believer in my household and I go away to my room to pray. More often than not someone disturbs me or enters the room and i stop praying until they leave the room, then I start praying again.

• Mike

If you are interrupted, you have to start from the beginning again.

• Old-un

Politely let them know that they will have to wait for any response from until you end your prayer or continue quietly praying. I found that ensuring others were aware I was praying helped, you could ask God to excuse the fact that there are interruptions, he knows our hearts and circumstances and what we're going to pray about before we open our mouths vocally or in silent prayer.

Since all gods are myths it means that prayer us just for fun so don't get too upset.

Since we random strangers here in internet land know SO MUCH MORE than you do about what god does, how he feels, what he thinks, how he acts, what gets him upset etc, it's really good that you asked us this question.

You need to apologize to god for rudely answering your parents when you were talking to god first. God is just like a random person on the telephone, see, who would get upset if you called them and then all of a sudden started talking to someone else off the phone. God doesn't know that you didn't MEAN to be rude, because god is terribly insecure. He thinks if you interrupt your prayers to answer a question in the real world that it means you don't CARE about him.

First he starts to cry, and then he starts to pound his feet on the floor of heaven, and he gets REALLY angry at you and feels personally insulted! We know this because he's told us all about it. He even told us that you were going to come here and ask about it, and he told us to tell you "NO! THE PRAYER DOESN'T COUNT, YOU RUDE MEANIE YOU! START OVER OR I'LL NEVER TALK TO YOU AGAIN OR ANSWER ANY OF YOUR PRAYERS EVER AGAIN! That is word for word exactly what he told us to tell you. Hope that helped!

Don't worry. God knows our prayers before we utter them. Next time, since you say you're constantly interrupted, pray from your heart silently.