How long should you date someone until you get engaged to them?

I have a man I’m seeing that I’ve realised is my boyfriend in the Christian sense of the word. We’ve only been a new couple for two weeks. I’m not yet looking to get married, as we’re still becoming better acquainted with each other. Neither is he, yet. I’m just curious for curiousity’s sake, how long should you wait to get engaged to someone?

• Favorite Answer

You can date some one for as long as you want before marrying them, but don't wait too long either. If you're waiting around for a proposal for more then a few years after talking about marriage, it may be time to move on.

Personally I think 2 weeks into a relationship is a bit too early to bring up marriage.

I think wait at least a few months. Find out if you really love each other and get to know each other, before you consider talking about getting married.

Until you're both happy you want to spend the rest of your lives together.

So more than a few weeks, generally.

• Logan

Like, 2 years at minimum. Unless you've known the person forever and then you started dating then you really don't know enough about the person to be considering tying your life and funds to someone forever.

2 Years if you're living together for the majority of it as well. Longer if you're not.

There’s no “should.”

My now-husband and I met at 18, started dating, and got engaged at age 24.

I’m now in my mid-30s, I have a college degree, I have a job ... if I was dating at this stage of my life I think I might personally be ok getting engaged to someone after dating for about a year.

You should know one another for a year before getting engaged.

If you're over 35 or have known each other a long time, at least a year. Otherwise, at least two years.

That depends on many factors including your age, maturity, financial independence, and life goals. In general, a couple shouldn't get engaged until they reach these milestones:

1. They've known each other at least one year.

2. They've met the other person's family, friends, and co-workers.

3. Each person is done with education or career training and are working at least a year.

4. Each person is 100% financially self-supporting.

5. You have discussed and agree on financial, career, and lifestyle, as well as share important values and beliefs.

• Amelia

I think dating for at least a year is reasonable. Research has shown that if you date at least two years before the wedding, you have the lowest chance of divorce. You probably want to wait at least a year to get engaged if you're waiting two years to be married.

Everyone will have an opinion.

There's nothing written in stone anywhere.

~