Zirp
Lv 7
Zirp asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 12 months ago

Are there many words in English that are spelled with one letter 3 times in a row?

Simpsons said there's just one, and I don't believe it

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Only if you count hyphenated words like cross-section or bell-like

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

No............!

• 12 months ago

///////////////////////////////// Did you mean the same letter 3 times in a row??

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

How about two letters three times In a row? Bookkeeper. Of course there are onomatopoeic words like brrr, shhh, and zzz.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 12 months ago

None, if they are spelled correctly and not altered for effect as you might do with words like aaaahhhhhh.

• Roger
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

None really, unless you count special effects. Here is one from the end of Chapter II of Sinclair Lewis's "Babbitt."

"Had kind of a run-in with Graff in the office. He's getting too darn fresh. I'll stand for a good deal, but once in a while I got to assert my authority, and I jumped him. 'Stan,' I said--Well, I told him just exactly where he got off.

“Funny kind of a day. Makes you feel restless.

“Wellllllllll, uh--” That sleepiest sound in the world, the terminal yawn. Mrs. Babbitt yawned with it, and looked grateful as he droned, “How about going to bed, eh? Don't suppose Rone and Ted will be in till all hours. Yep, funny kind of a day; not terribly warm but yet--Gosh, I'd like--Some day I'm going to take a long motor trip.”

“Yes, we'd enjoy that,” she yawned.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.