Would you say Jake. E Lee captured the Randy Rhoads style with Ozzy?

I mean Ultimate Sin not so much because it was more Pop. But Bark at the Moon(Like Crazy Train), Centre of Eternity(Like Mr. Crowley), Now You See It Now You Don't, So Tired, Killer of Giants (Ballad like GoodBye To Romance).

I feel like he captured what Ozzy was going for post RR. He did a great job. He just didn't incorporate too many classical pieces in his paying and approached his solos and fills with Hard Rock and Heavy Metal licks. He didn't use legato as much.

Of course he doesn't have a song like DOAMM or Revelation on his resume. So Tired is a ballad kind of thing

• Andrew
    Best Answer

No, I most certainly would not say that. Jake E. Lee was being paid to play the existing songs in Ozzy's catalogue and to write and record new ones. While he was a capable enough player who could handle the existing material, he wasn't even remotely in Randy's league when it came to songwriting. There are a few good tracks on the two albums Jake E. Lee made with Ozzy. In particular "Bark at the Moon", "Waiting for Darkness" and "Never", but there's a lot of rubbish on those records as well. Each and every track on both "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" is terrific. Jake E. Lee didn't "capture" any of Randy's style. He was paid to play Randy's songs and to write new ones. As a professional musician, he was able to learn the songs Randy had written and to play them well, but he didn't hold a candle to Randy in terms of songwriting. Few tracks from the Jake E. Lee era became live staples (other than "Bark at the Moon" and "Shot in the Dark" - which was actually written by Phil Soussan), and there's a reason for that. Most of "Bark at the Moon" and "The Ultimate Sin" is filler. Jake E. Lee was a great player, and he wrote a few decent songs. But the wide majority of the songs he recorded with Ozzy were awful.

Not entirely because even if he had captured the Rhandy Rhoads style, it wouldnt have been appreciated by the fans.

Jake E. Lee succeeded with Ozzy on the Bark At The Moon album because he "took-the-little-engine-that-could" approach to playing in Ozzy's band, and it worked for him.

Source(s): nothing
  • 38lsb

He had a similar tone perhaps but Randy was so creative. I saw R.R. twice, once on the Blizzard of Oz tour and then just months later they came back through on the Diary of a Madman tour, some of the best rocks shows I've seen. I know Randy was inspired a lot by Ritchie Blackmore who I saw in 84' at that time he was heads above everyone on guitar.