Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 12 months ago

Was I in the wrong wrong when trying to merge from one lane merging into another.?

I was driving in one lane on the highway in front of this car. Up ahead, the lane that I was in was going to merge to become the right lane of a two way road. The car behind put her turn signal on and was going to the left of me. But the thing is that we were still in the right lane so I kept driving right behind this school bus. and I merged into the right lane of the two way. This woman started honking at me and calling me a dumbass. But the thing was since we were both in the same lane since I was in front of her doesn't that give me the right to merge first even if she was trying to get around me? It wasn't like she got in her own separate lane. We were in the lane that was going to become one.

..........................................

You're in the wrong. Being in front of someone does not give you the right to move over. When changing lanes it is 100% YOUR responsibility to ensure it's safe to do so. This includes not cutting people off.

"since I was in front of her doesn't that give me the right to merge first"?

You are deliberately not giving all the details. Read your "driving training manual" again and see if you were right or wrong. You were not the bus trailer so you were either tailgating the bus or cutting in just because the bus could fit (but you couldn't) without cutting off the other driver. But you said "Right behind" like an azz pimple.

. Merging is SO EASY. when you allow for other vehicles be in front of you. No need to tailgate so there is "NO REASON" you should be behind the bus during the merge. Merge means YOU HAVE TO MESH smoothly. You didn't do that. Your training manual would tell you that. There should be a 2 second space between you and the vehicle in front of you(you are not the "bumper paint" close to the front vehicle. EVER!

. This is not a race.

. Nor do you wait until there is no road left for you to push the other car out of the way. That is not "merging". That is "forcing" the issue...rather than fitting into the main lane of traffic on the right lane...where you can.

Many big truck drivers tell you "FckOff&DiePeasant" as they drive over you like an oversized speed bump...and they do not stop.

If she was behind you and changed lanes while she was behind you, there would be no problem. But likely she was trying to pass you and get around you and get ahead of you at the same time, which is what caused her problem.

People drive like this all day long in my area, causing a driving hazard. They are impatient and then do something unsafe, and to make things even worse, they blame their selfishness and unsafe driving habits on someone else!

Shaking my head!

Under normal driving conditions, the vehicle in front has the right of way. Merging traffic yields the right of way to traffic already in the lane. Sounds familiar, right? It sounds like the lady behind you saw an opportunity to pass but, may have been caught off guard with the merge or, just got pissed that she didn't get around you. Don't sweat it. If you think you were wrong, let someone cut in front of you later, even out that karma thing.

I’m with you. Sounds like she was in a hurry and things weren’t moving fast enough for her, which is often the cause of accidents. Based on her reaction, this seems to be what happened.

For what it's worth, there's a local place that comes to mind when I read this, and just yesterday I stayed in the left lane because I'm aware of it and the issues it presents.

• Ron

She was annoyed because you waited until the last second to merge. Even though you had the right it is annoying. When the sign says lane ends then move over

• Andy C

Your description makes no sense. People can merge left at ANY time, and if you sped up to keep her from passing you, then yes, your a jack@$$.

Usually people who use the phrase 'the thing is' are in the wrong.

• Robert

From what you wrote you seem to be in the right to me. Amazing how many horrible self centered drivers are out there. I have always felt that there should be a retest each time the license is renewed. Maybe not a full road test, but a written rules test to keep the idiots fresh and weed out the truly stupid. It would also generate a few bucks toward the greedy government which never seems to get enough