Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 months ago

What's in a name, what's in a title?

So I come from an East Indian background. I grew up in the West all of my life. I grew up with Western values. I'm basically a liberal with libertarian values, I believe people should be allowed to live in their own ways. However, I see some logic behind my traditional conservative upbringing too. My father died when my brother was quite young, soon after he got into drugs. Traditionally, an older brother should be addressed with the title "bhai" (meaning older brother), rather than by his name. My younger brother never called me by anything other than my name. I did not care at the time, being the western libertarian that I am. But I was powerless to fix his drug problem, because he did not recognize any soft of authority from me. I was left with the duties of my father, without his authority in my brother's eyes. Do you think it would've been better if I insisted on being called "bhai" rather than by my name?

• night
    Favorite Answer

It could easily have made things worse too. A big issue like a drug problem is usually the result of several different issues and an individual's coping skills.

• Lili

It no longer matters. I suggest you stop dwelling on the subject.

• Foofa

In the context of where you now live this title means nothing. You're either westernized or you're not. Pick one.

if you want to get called by a different name just tell people

• Black10 months agoReport

You don't get it, the name is a sign of respect, it's like calling your mom or dad by their first names, rather than "mom" or "dad". If you call them by their first names, then you are showing less respect to them.