Dru asked in TravelCanadaVancouver · 6 months ago

Will I get taxed if I bring some cigar products from Canada back to USA through the border?

So I’m going to Canada for 1 day (24+ hours but less than 48 hours). I want to bring back some cigar products from Canada back home to the US. I just wanna know will I be able to bring it back home fine without getting taxed? Or will I get taxed for it?

P.s. the cigar products I’m trying to bring back are backwoods.

• sam

declare them, but careful on cuban cigars

They are concerned about people smuggling in tobacco products to sell them- but that's usually in the other direction, since they are cheaper in the US. Still, be careful to declare whatever you have.

The longer you go away, the more you can bring back. For a 24 hour period, the tax-free limits are pretty small. You will most likely have to pay some duty, and tax as well, although with Free Trade, perhaps no duty.

Of course yes. you need to pay tax

The duty free limit is only available to US citizens who have been out of the USA for 48 hours or more.

That said, just declare whatever you have to US Customs. If it is a "reasonable number" of cigars they will probably just wave you through as collecting a few dollars in taxes usually is not worth their while.

I have done that numerous times when bringing back things like a case of wine, a Rolex watch, and jewelry. They just waved me through, and seemed surprised I declared the items.

However, DON'T fail to declare the items. The consequences of getting caught "smuggling" can be extreme.