Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaQuebec · 5 months ago

Are pb&j sandwiches originally made in Quebec?

I read that peanut butter was made there, and jelly itself was made by grapes in France.

An American sandwich actually originated in French Canada. I think you learn.something new every day. I could be wrong though.....

Favorite Answer

Canadians eat a lot of peanut butter, and also jam - not jelly; that is an American thing, but, we make loads of jam here, including grape jam.

You learn something new every day.

I guess so.....

I did a little research and basically the peanut doesn't grow in Canada. The climate isn't warm enough. Canada imports 85% of the peanuts consumed there from the United States. That being the case I doubt the PBJ got its start in Canada. More likely it was here in the US since peanut butter was first made here in the late 1800s. Traditionally grape jelly is made from Concord grapes which are also grown in the US. Concord grapes are a cultivar that was first grown in Concord Massachusetts. There was no mention of France in the article that talked about it either. So it seems there is a preponderance of the evidence that would suggest that the PB&J sandwich is a creation that got its start in the US.

• David B.

capitalgentleman, I guess there's an exception to just about everything. My point was that if Canada imports 85% of their peanuts from the US then obviously it is not a viable cash crop in the majority of Canada.
      David B. · just now

It doesn't look like it.

The first patent for peanut butter was issued in Quebec, but the first known reference to PB&J sandwiches was in a cooking magazine published in Boston.

• Kathy

I looked it up on Google, and they were not invented in Quebec.