The bible says you cannot serve both money and God - so how do you serve God?
- 9 months agoFavorite Answer
“Breakthrough”, in the same way the operations of sin within created beings and living creatures requires that their awareness and self-will direct their desire and expression to evil and wickedness, many Christian believers would agree, that to serve GOD requires that a person direct their awareness and self-will (willpower) to acknowledging divine law and the holy writings, to practicing sacrifice and unselfishness, and to continuing in a healthy relationship with divinity through communication, exchange, and interaction within a community of believers. To serve is to carry out and perform the will of another without having to be coerced; to maintain alertness and wait for their commands without complaining or indulging distractions; and to display comfort, encouragement, forgiveness, and mercy in judgment. Consider again the following that uses language from the Bible:
1. Joshua 24: 14-16, King James Version (KJV): 14 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. 16 And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
2. Joshua 24: 19-24, KJV: 19 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. 20 If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good. 21 And the people said unto Joshua, Nay; but we will serve the LORD. 22 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the LORD, to serve him. And they said, We are witnesses. 23 Now therefore put away, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD God of Israel. 24 And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey.
3. Romans 6: 16-23, KJV: 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? 17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness. 20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. 21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. 22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
There is far more that should be said, correctly examined, and spiritually apprehended. (For example, 4. Colossians 3: 5-17, KJV: 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. 8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. 12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.) Even so, I trust this fragment will be useful. Be it unto you according to your faith.
Image downloaded 1:57 PM, September 03, 2019 @ https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/636935843_1280x981.jp...
THE BLACK PHOENIX
Washington, DCSource(s): Years of prayer, study of the holy writings, and life experience. For more, use the links, here, to some of my other answers.
- 9 months ago
God meant u cant have two God's its either him or satan and satan loves money
- 9 months ago
to serve really means to be a servant, a slave of, so if you were a slave of money you would be doing all you could to get as much as you could, working overtime, two jobs perhaps, to the detriment of your family, and your worship of god. there is nothing wrong in having money, the bible makes it clear that your family should be provided for, but taking it to the excess means you are serving money rather than God.
- OttoLv 79 months ago
We, like Joshua serve Jehovah.
Joshua 24: 15 :"... but as fore me and my household , we shall serve Jehovah."Source(s): Bible
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- PaulLv 79 months ago
By sharing His truth with those who are ignorant of it, and by caring for all His beloved children, especially those in greatest need.
- SBR32277Lv 79 months ago
While you certainly can't serve both since there are contradictions, you can serve neither with no problems at all. I server neither :)
- lillieLv 69 months ago
Mat 6:24 states: “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches".
Jesus was showing that a person cannot be a slave to God if Riches is his master. Our love for God should be the priority in our lives not the desire for wealth and possessions.Source(s): New World Translation Bible
- Anonymous9 months ago
By earning enough to live and not making money the most important thing.
- BrianLv 79 months ago
According to televangelists, by giving Him money.
- Anonymous9 months ago
I don't serve God. God doesn't exist.
Absence of God does not mean people have meaningless lives devoid of conscience or morals.
ETA: "Without God, your definition of "moral" is simply your opinion." True. But that's true for everyone. Belief that God exists is nothing more than an opinion.
- 9 months ago
He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?