Will navigation in cars be obsolete?

My friend got a new Civic 2019 and he got the one with Nav. He said it is fine but he has Apple CarPlay and he can use Google Maps on his phone since he has unlimited data.

I like the GPS built in the car cause no data is used and you don't need good cellphone reception like the phone.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The problem with a car's built-in GPS navigation system is that the maps were created about a year before the car was built, which means it's not up to date. For most purposes this is okay since roads and streets don't change very often.

The benefit of using a smartphone with Google Maps or Waze is that the maps are updated frequently and is more accurate. Of course, Waze also provides real-time traffic conditions reported by Waze users.

I anticipate that car companies will soon begin using Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze in their built-in navigation systems in the future. They would have to charge a fee for the data usage.

• Murzy
    1 year ago

I have built in GPS but I use Waze.