Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

This guy was flirty, now he's all serious?

There's a patrolman who walks the beat near my office (doesn't work for my company) and he passes by and says hello every so often. I've seen him passing by for over a year now and even though he's an older man, his wife passed and he has a family and he harmlessly flirts and compliments me sometimes.

He acts as if we're really friends and like we've grown some sort of bond since he comes by with drinks and he's so friendly-- yet when I invited him to a public event I'm hosting in honor of my late father and asked if he wanted to come by to support the cancer awareness event, he started acting all serious.

It's almost like he realized I'm a real person and I'm not just a pretty face in some office??

I figure, if I'm going to invite people to the event I coordinated, why not someone who's friendly that I've known and see just about every day I go to work?

He stopped flirting with me today when I gave him the flier and put his "friendliness" to the test asking him to come and volunteer with my group.

What's his deal??

*I don't want him to buy me a meal and I don't want his company - I want him to volunteer at my event and be a real friend!

Favorite Answer

Because that breached a few steps in escalation of a relationship. That event is pretty heavy/personal/intimate, and your relationship up to now has been casual/acquaintance level. I have people I consider friends that wouldn't want to go to something like that if I asked.

Because you dont understand, some people do not want to hang out at those types of events. Some people enjoy their privacy. I happen to be one of them. BTW, just because hes casually flirting with you does not mean he is into you, he could be having fun with you or it could just be his personality. If someone invited me to a huge event like that, I would also say no. I do not like crowds. If you want to hang out with him, invite him out for coffee or something, just the two of you. Not everyone is into events such as those.

maybe he likes you

• .

Saying "hello every once in a while" doesn't rise to the level of "flirty." He's afraid you're misinterpreting his friendliness into something more. It appears that you did.

Your approach is all wrong. You are setting conditions to 'test' him which is stupid. Just ask him if he would like to buy you a meal. Life is too short to mess about.