Is an Un notarized Contract Legally Binding in Court?

Okay, so I have a friend who wants to borrow $200, cuz she's short on rent. She's a good friend and so am I so I want to help. But I'm in no place financially to just be giving money away and I've been screwed by friends before, and am all the wiser now. So the deal I want to make is I'll loan her the $200 on the condition that she pay it back, as well as sign a document I'll type up myself, that states that I must be reimbursed in that amount.

Now I know about notary public's but I'm not 100 percent sure everything they do. I know you sign important documents in front of them and have the document stamped for verification, but is that a MUST to make a homemade contract legally binding? I mean I'm just lending a friend money here and don't wanna go to the trouble. Can I just type the thing up, have her sign it, and that be fine. Like if she didn't pay me back, would that un notarized contract hold up in court?

Also if just the homemade contract is fine, how do you write one? Like I have an idea. I know you're supposed to state the names of both parties, what's being given and received, and in detail, what the agreement is. But is there a particular layout I need to be aware of? Does is need to be in a section A, section B format like a lot of legal paperwork is?

Little help would be great. Will award 10 points. Thanks.

• 1 year ago

No being notarized is not an obligation for a contract to hold up in court, especially in small claims court. Just be sure all details, information, time frames, consideration, dates, and expectations of all parties are clearly called out and everybody has signed and dated the agreement and keep it brief.

• 1 year ago

It doesn't need to be notarized but rather than make up your own go to an office supply store and get a promissory note.

• 1 year ago

Yes, an un-notarized contract is binding.

• Pat
    1 year ago

Yes dear.

Notarizing only verifies the signatures.

It doesn't prove that the facts are true.

• 1 year ago

A contract doesn't need to be notarized to be valid.