Would you find it hard if your step-daughter, her husband and their 4 kids moved in next-door to you?

I'm expecting my first baby.

Favorite Answer

Not particularly unless they frequented my place often, which I would put a stop to immediately.

You sound like the typical bïtchy stepmother. By the way, remember, she’s his daughter, you’ll never win.

• Edna

As long as they leave me the hell alone, I don't care if all of them move in next door.

So long as she realized my home is not an extension of hers and that I'm not an automatic babysitter, we'd have no issues.

• GB

You need to set boundaries from the start.

1) It might be convenient to have keys to each other's homes for emergencies, but the two establishments should not be used as a 'second home ' by the others. You probably won't want them 'dropping in' at any time, and they may feel the same way about you. They might, however feel different about their dad doing it.

2) When the baby is born, you are likely to want a 'babymoon' once home - some time spent with just the 3 of you. or limited visiting time from the rest of the family.

3) House rules - Respect each other's house rules, when at their house. Even pre-school children can be taught this.

4) Neither couple should take it for granted the others will always be able to babysit.

Why would I? The more family the better.

What does it matter? Sounds like it's happening, so you need to put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Not necessarily. Plenty of love and support for you and your first child - and probably some sitters! There may be "awkward" times, of course, but focus on the positives. Good Luck!

• audrey

Yes. Sounds absolutely awful!

No. You learn to co-exist. You can only control so much, work on the things that you can change instead of focus on negative things. If you allow it to bother you, it will. You are both adults, so why would there be a problem?