Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

How do I teach a dog to poop outside?

I have an American Staffordshire Terrier, only about 9 weeks old. He is pooping and peeing all over the house. Every time he does this, I smack him, make him smell it, say NO in a deep voice then take him outside. I wipe up the mess, take the paper towel I used outside, make him smell it again, and say "Good boy, good..." etc. Am I doing this right, or what? Also it has been very cold and rainy here for this season; and every time I take him outside he starts shivering. Am I making him associate outside with bad? Never trained a dog before, I'm kind of clueless right now...

Thank you for all the help...and the correction too, I suppose. I guess the key is persistence, persistence, persistence!

Don't smack him, and much praise when he goes outside. Got it. Thanks for the help guys!

• PR
    Favorite Answer

You are doing part of it right.

You need a dog cage that is only large enough for him to stand and turn around in. Put him inside the cage in the main living area of the house. Always give a treat when putting him in the cage. Keep the cage in your bedroom at night.

Bring him outside first thing in the morning and walk him around on a leash. Use a key phrase like: "Good dog go out." When he does something, praise him like he laid a golden egg, then go back inside and give him a treat. Play with him for a little while on a tiled surface, then put him back in the cage. Take him back outside at a reasonable interval. That could be between one and three hours.

This accomplishes a couple things:

1. He doesn't have the opportunity to potty inside the house; where to go is a learned thing and he is currently learning to go inside the house.

2. He learns where to go by repetition of being taken outside.

3. He receives praise for this action, so he does not feel bad for a normal body function (think how we would feel if every time we eliminated, we were scolded!

4. The cage helps him not pee and poop as often because he is not running around, and they don't like to eliminate where they are sleeping.

5. The cage is a bit like a dog den, so this is natural for him, as far as where a mother dog would keep her young.

I would put a jacket/sweater on him if he is especially cold. The only other thing you could do is make a wooden frame in the garage if you have one. Put some dirt in it and sod or sod and wood chips. Dogs learn what is called "preferred substrate". That means whatever is under their paws as they go as youngsters makes an impression on them. Be sure he gets the right impression under his little feet.

Always praise. Do not scold. If he has an accident (you then left him on the tile too long), do what you have been doing with the paper towel, but DO NOT scold him. Take it outside, show it to him, and more subtly praise him while it is on the ground outside.

I am pretty sure if we scolded our children for accidents, they would turn out emotionally messed up! Dogs just don't get the negatives and it does not teach them anything, except to fear their humans.

Hopefully, you are not away at school with a puppy to train. That would be a lot to expect of yourself.

You housetrain the dog.

Seriously? You should NEVER smack a puppy nor should you rub its nose in it.

WTF??? ESPECIALLY not a bully breed mutt since I would bet money you didn't buy this puppy from an AKC breeder with a breeder slip of PROOF of what you bought. You're going to make this puppy aggressive because all its learning is you are CRUEL and ABUSING him.

Why is he allowed "all over the house" this young? You should be crating him when you aren't home and when you are have him in a small sectioned off area like your kitchen.

You also should be taking him out at LEAST every three hours since small puppies can't hold their pee and poop yet and don't know that they can't go indoors.

You're right - you are EXTREMELY clueless. Shame on you.

• 10 months agoReport

Number four, I've been taking him outside every one hour, not every three hours. And number five, this site is normally to get and give helpful information, not to shamelessly criticize every mistake people make. Now I am aware of my mistakes, I have corrected them. That's all one can really ask...

you say get out side you ***

• 10 months agoReport

ummmm no.

You are not training him properly. Soon after you feed him, and everytime, bring him outside and stay there until he poops or pees, and give him much praise them.

maybe you should ask a dog training place to help you train him

• ZotsRule

A nine week old puppy? And train it for housebreaking? Pearl - please just go away.

Not your usual trolling level, but you DID get the emotional response you craved. You are an absolutely good reason why people with histories of addiction (which you have posted), who cannot control their behavior, should NOT own pets.

• 10 months agoReport

Thanks for the reminder, Stephanie. I suppose you will be happy to know I've kicked the addiction? Also, I didn't make the decision to get the dog, my dad did. Just trying to deal with the problem. Have a great day!

by taking it outside and a pup of that age two hourly 24/7 though only in a dog free area due to the possibility of contracting parvo

• Hannah

Jeez the puppy is only 9 weeks old. It will take time to train a puppy to use the toilet outside! All you do is take the puppy out every 2 hours. When they pee or poop outside praise the puppy. Don't ever hit your puppy for going inside. You might injure or kill the puppy! Take the poop you find inside and place it outside, bring the puppy outside and show them. Praise them. Never hit them. Saying No in a deep tone while you catch them in the act and take them outside right away works too, but always praise when they do it where they are supposed to(as I mentioned above) it may take a month or just a few weeks. But a 9 week old won't understand exactly what's going on.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Only say ‘NO’ when you catch him in the act. It is useless to punish him after he’s already done it. Take him outside every hour. And take him out a bit after he’s eaten too, and make sure he goes every time. Also, praise him every time he does go outside.

• P

Basically if you don't catch him in the act, it's useless to push his face in it or hit him after the fact. You need to keep him in the same room as you with barriers or a leash. Also take him outside often before he goes. If he goes outside then you say good boy! etc. If you can't watch him you need to put him in a crate (google "crate training").

Only when you catch him in the act do you say "NO!" and put him outside. If you just let him roam around the house without supervision you are creating your own problem. It is hard when they are that young. They do get more responsive when they get a little older.