Did Randy Rhoads guitar teacher actually say that he couldn't teach Randy anymore cause he taught him everything he knew?

I think Rhoads mom said that Randy's electric guitar teacher told her to get Randy another teacher cause he was teaching him.

Is that kind of cocky on the teachers part? I mean what if Randy had to learn from someone like Eric Johnson? Sure he has great solos like Mr. Crowley , Revelation etc... what happens if he had heard Cliffs of Dover? I'm sure Randy would be intimidated with all the fast picking and string skipping and using chords as elodies

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best Answer

Yes, the story is true, but it doesn't carry nearly as much weight as you're attempting to give it. Just because someone is paid to provide instruction in a certain discipline, that doesn't necessarily mean that the person is an expert. Do you know how many people there are out there giving piano lessons and working as French tutors who are only prepared to give instruction from the beginner to intermediate level? Probably the wide majority of people who are getting paid to do those things would fall into that category. And you know what? There's no shame in that. People need to know how to play a C scale and use the Simple Present Tense before they can do more complicated things. And a good teacher will not only recognise that a particular student is showing major potential, but will encourage that student to seek a mentor who will allow him or her to go as far as possible. That teacher ought to be commended for that kind of honesty and vision. That's the hallmark of a good teacher.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You miss the point of what a musician IS.

• 2 months ago

This almost sounds like the Beethoven saying he learned nothing from Haydn story (under whom- Haydn- Beethoven studied). The word "apocryphal" comes to mind in both cases.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I believe what the teacher meant was that Rhodes was a better player than the teacher.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.