Will a mechanic coarse at a technical school pay for itself if I only work on my own car?

Hey I'm 30 years old with too much free time. I was wondering if learning how to fix my own car.(I'm guessing $11,000 for the coarse) would pay for itself over the years without using it for employment? Thanks

Oh ya I wasn't even thinking about the computer stuff. Just air tools and some Jack's. Thanks....GOD

I dnt reely care*

Oh ok like coarse to touch? Course* got it. Thanks for correcting that my guy. Luckily you knew what it meant though as I wasn't talking about how your hair feels.

I understand enough simple English to help get the oil out of the earth so you can drive your mini Cooper. Though you come off as a Tesla guy. I don't know what TD stands for either.

Favorite Answer

Depends on what you drive, if you drive cars less than 10 years old or less than 100k miles then probably not.

• Geo

Buy a good Repair Manual and read it cover to cover. You'll understand your car a lot better. And be able to fix it.

• zipper

It would be a huge help, you will at lease understand what the shop is talking about and have a better idea of what a repair should cost and what repairs you should not try doing in your drive way. Plus safety issues you will also learn.

Hey Dufus...Just watch youtube videos to learn how to fix what's needed on your car.

• george9 months agoReport

Oh ok. I didn't realize that. Lol why do we need mechanics than. Let's just watch you tube video. Goodbye repair fees. Walk outside for a bit.

• Ron

I have a haynes manual. I work on my car guided by that

I took auto shop in high school. It's still paying off for me.

• M.

👍

Unless you are always going to drive old, poorly maintained vehicles, no, it won't pay for itself. You don't need to go to school to learn what you need to know.

• Scott

Course, not coarse. Two words that sound the same but mean different things. I doubt you will recoup the cost of the training by just working on your own vehicle. $11,000 buys a lot of oil changes and brake jobs.

• br549

I'm a professional mechanic (retired) and I would try and dissuade you from learning anything about your car, how it operates, or what repairs it might need. I'll be able to sell more unnecessary work to you!

• br549

Yes, truly a retired mechanic. Here's the thing, if you know nothing about how your car operates, I "could" sell all sorts of unnecessary work to you. Seen that done many times, though I couldn't do that. With the knowledge you could gain, you will know whether you are being treated fairly or not.

• Bear

'Course',not 'Coarse'.

It's no good giving me TDs.If someone can't understand simple English words,how are they going to understand technical details?

• God

What type of equipment would you need at home? If you had to buy a lot of computer diagnostic instruments I would say no.