Clothes washer. Agitator seems to be going out. Is it ok to still wash clothes?

Details: OLD washer. Significant other has been reviewing videos for a replacement plan, but it's a VERY old washer and replacement parts appear hard to find.

• zipper

What does this have to do with transportation?

• Angela8 months agoReport

I've moved it twice. Then it changes categories on me AGAIN. Sorry. Weird.

Replaced the agitator "dog" in my old Whirlpool also. Easy job and the parts are less than $10.

Could be the belt, or if it's the transmission, forget about it. Not a job for the average homeowner.

Maybe you just need a new agitator. They are typically made of plastic and the splines in them wear out as they are driven by a steel shaft. Removing the nut on the top of the agitator and pulling it off is just that easy to put a new one on.

There are agitator dogs that wear out in Kenmore washers, leaving the agitator not able to oscillate during the wash cycle. Those are 4 little ratchet teeth in the top of the agitator. They're very easy to replace and are sold by Appliance Parts Distributors stores. That washer may also be marketed as a few other brands.

I picked up a large load Maytag washer that was for free. Everything worked but the agitator. Turns out 4 plastic pieces which cost me $10 were worn out. It took me 30 minutes to take the top of the agitator apart and pop them in place. Works like new now.

Probably belt, if not a Maytag.Whirlpool belts are # 50806. Whirlpool Used to make Kenmore; same parts but different numbers. Set for cold water, add detergent, start, run a few, then stop 45 minutes to soak. Restart. The "weakest" agitator will still do a good job that way.You can save on hot water, too, as a long soak in cold takes out most dirt and stains.

I got a used washer for $35; it lasted me from 1992 to 2003. Might Still be working. Dripped a little but laundry room was in a shed with with dirt floor. I have a Whirpool seal removal/installation tool, but, the looks of that rusty old outer drum, I was afraid it;'d crack apart if I tried. I left it alone and sold it for $35 when I moved.

Source(s): REF: Worked in appliance store 3 years; parts 4 hours/day.
  • Ron

It won't wash worth the crap

Get a new one. Fix an old appliance and the next day something else goes wrong.

• P & W9 months agoReport

Get Another. I have sen very good older used Whirlpools for $35. Put up with a slight water leak, tub under outer basket.

My friend had a top loader that had agitator/boot failure after many years. He found a $175 replacement. But he chose a new top loader instead for $450. Did not wash as well. Got another top loader, same. Got a front loader with lots of settings, message board, pretty lights and stainless. It and the new dryer (not needed but a package deal) set him back $1900. And he is still not happy. Has to wipe down the rubber door seal, and also air out the tub, and also sterilize it regularly. Washing ability seems questionable still.

Source(s): My 1980 model Maytag runs great, built like a tank. Plumber shakes his head in wonder, how well they were made then.
    • P & W9 months agoReport

I have a 2004 Kenmore. Made in China, POS. I miss my old Whirpool. The K/M is hi efficiency all stainless steel, front loader, saves water but any part is $45-$150.