Can I break through catalytic converter honeycombs by sticking a piece of rebar into the exhaust pipe?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Not if you want your car to be inspectable.

• 2 months ago

You need to take it off the vehicle so that once you break it you can remove the pieces. If it's not plugged up just leave it alone.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 2 months ago

No. You have to remove cat from tailpipe. If you simply go thru tail, you will need a very long piece of rebar, and break muffler baffles, first. To empty a cat usually takes drilling hole in bottom or opening a plug. "Honeycomb" type you describe will take a star rock drill aimed in back or front, with a 3# hammer or sledge. You may have to saw it loose or get the clamp faces red hot--they well be rusted in there, if not welded. There is a scoop type remover just for getting stuck mufflers off:

I've heard of letting gas tank get real low, then adding as lot of that "octane booster", getting car good and hot by a 250 mile drive on freeway. The added heat to cat burns out any scale or carbon and fixes it.

Don't throw away any parts you get out, they are Platinum. A dead cat is worth $100.

• 2 months ago

I don't know it it is physically possible.

I DO know that tampering with the convertor WILL cause the vehicle to fail an emissions check AND degrade engine performance. An engine designed to use a cat won't work as well without it.

Note: It WILL destroy the muffler before it gets anywhere near the Catalytic converter.

• Anon2 months agoReport

E. don't address Stevie like he really knows sometihng.. It might encourage him. He seems to think you can buy a "ton" of A N F O at Home Depot..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Not if there's any bends in the pipe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.