Is there a secret to how to make your car last a long time?

I drive a 2017 Rogue and it only has 38000 KM on it so far no problem at all. Yes it has an AWD CVT, but we have 100 000KM/5 year warranty on that.

Now I see older cars like my friend has a 2006 Accord with 450,000 KM on it and he says all the parts are original such as the alternator, spark plug etc... only thing changed was the wheels, tires, battery but the timing belt and all that mechanical stuff is the same.

He tells me all I do is oil changes and I drive the speed limit and avoid pot holes. He says he tries not to drive it too rough or accelerate way too hard.

• zipper
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you take care of it, oil changes on time good oil and filters used, run some hightest throw the tank once or twice a year to help clean the engine.

• 1 year ago

Yes, is called preforming ALL regular and preventive maintenance on time. Look it up in your owners manual. PS Hondas are pretty much, in my opinion, the best ( for my wants) brand dollar for dollar

• 1 year ago

He's an idiot. The spark plugs in the Accord need changing every 100,000 miles. Honda motors need their valves adjusted every 60,000 miles because they get tight.

Just make sure you have Nissan change the tranny fluid every 60,000 miles so they have records of you doing so. That way if the CVT transmission fails there's a good chance you get a customer goodwill extended warranty on it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 1 year ago

If he's saying the original spark plubs have 450,000k on them, he's either pullin ur bits, or they were changed and he doesn't know it. Likewise with the timing belt - if it hasn't been changed, it's a bomb looking for a place to go off.

Any car should go 100,000k without a major problem . . . . take care of it as others noted and you can expect 300 without anything incredible - but maitenance schedule must be followed - and expect minor repairs.

• 1 year ago

Secret is common sense. Not so common. Drive conservatively. anticipate stops so you never stop short, let it warm up a few before taking off.

Service per manual, investigate the unusual right away. Check fluids, belt tensions, hoses weekly. Most cars will do over 200 K this way..

• Ron
    1 year ago

Isn't it odd how you can tell who a poster is by the way they write a question? On a side note, I do all my own maintenance, drive my car like I stole it and it's an 00 Accord with 170k miles. Still has the original tail and brake light bulbs.

• 1 year ago

The car came with an 'Owner's manual' that includes a routine maintenance schedule.

Follow the schedule and don't drive like a maniac.

• Dze
    1 year ago

yeah, just dont be hard on it .. keep the rpms low and dont drive aggressively .. and of course the obvious things keep it out of the weather as much as possible ..

1 year ago

Use fully synthetic oil. Change it when hot and let it drain for a few hours, or overnight. That will freeze engine wear. Careful maintenance is the way to reliability.

1 year ago

Have maintenance done per your owner's manual.

< He says he tries not to drive it too rough or accelerate way too hard. >

Yup, that's sure not going to hurt.