kumari asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Why my cat likes to spend time outside?

I have a two year old neutered cat. I have a very big yard and my cat likes to hunt, run and spend time sitting outside. He mostly stays in our yard. I would have loved that he does not go outside but I find that he becomes stressed when I force him to stay inside. He does not go out for long, maybe 2 to 3 hours but still I would have preferred that he stays inside. My sister's cat is the opposite. He is a scared cat which refuses to go outside. My problem is that since I read the internet on how bad it is to let cat go outside, I have no peace of mind at all when he goes out. I wish to add that in the country I live, apart from dogs and humans, we do not have predators like foxes, coyottes, snakes, owls. I live quite far from the street. I would like to hear experiences of people who allow their cats outside.

• patty
    Best Answer

a person in my block of flats has a cat and he is allowed down in the back yard but is not allowed to leave the yard. Cats get bored inside and there is plenty of stimulation outside

• kumari2 months agoReport

I agree that no matter how much we try to keep a cat entertained, it will never be the same than going outside. I tried to bring my cat inside at a specific time. Now when he gets the chance to be outside, he stays longer. He even wanders more. 

Because cats love being in the sun & to hunt

• In

Because cats are minimally domesticated animals that like to prowl, just like their wild brethren.

• Nathan

There is more to do outside. "Cat TV" (watching everything happen), hunting, playing etc...Your Cat will not want to be inside unless you make it entertaining for him, so try to do that.

• Ocimom

How about considering building or buying an enclosure that attaches to the house via window or door. This way your cat can still go in the yard, but not off your property and you won't need to worry about him being outside.

I would never let my cats outside. You may live under the delusion that there's no predators that can kill your cat or cars that can run him over. But why is it OK with you that he's slaughtering wildlife? One pet cat can kill up to a THOUSAND small animals every year since they hunt for sport not food.

You obviously don't care enough about your cat to keep it indoors. But why don't you care about your cat's impact on your local wildlife? I'm also certain your neighbours don't appreciate your cat pissing and shitting in their gardens.

Don't worry about it. Your cat is happier outside, ok, it may be slightly more at risk of accidents, but cats are quite capable of becoming streetwise. My cat knows the sound of cars, and doesn't try and cross. If you try and make your cat stay in, it will be miserable. Leave it be.

• ZotsRule

"Slightly" more at risk? Most cats allowed to roam only live about 3-5 years. I keep my cats indoors and my last cat died just shy of TWENTY THREE years old!

From what I see of cats, many prefer to be outside, where they get a bit of sun on their backs, and mental if not physical stimulation (watching birds, and mice). I had neighbours who after losing a cat on the road where they previously lived, had two who never went out even if in a hamlet with virtually no traffic other then at the start and end of the day when people went to the station. It was so sad seeing them having to sit at the window day after day.

As said, cats are basically 'wild' creatures who have, over time, learnt that humans can be useful for food, shelter etc. when they need it. Otherwise it's clear they much prefer having the ability to be out-doors.

Surrender the cat since you insist on being a negligent pet owner. The cat should be indoors.

• Satan

Simply shoot the cat, then get it stuffed. Wont pine to go outside, and you wont have to feed it either

• Satan

Cats like to explore, hunt, play, social, chill and relax outside - they are wild creatures at heart, and just 'play domestic' for free food and shelter

Most predators will not go for another predator, which a cat is. Sharp teeth, claws and speed will injure, and it's easier to go for scraps or something else