Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 9 months ago

My fiancée’s family don’t treat me with respect?

They’re a wealthy family and they think I’m marrying their daughter to leech on them. I’m not. I’m marrying her because I love her and I’m capable of providing to myself and my family. Do I need to talk to these people or just ignore them? They will see in time that I don’t need their handouts.

• Athena

You marry the girl you marry the family.

You had better realize that NOW or you will never be happy in your short, short marriage.

well then I hope you're paying for the wedding yourself with none of their help

Try not to take it (them) all OVER seriously. Make little light jokes about it, even. There is more to life than money!

Tell them what you just told us and then prove it actions speak louder than words

• Foofa

Their daughter is the one who needs to go to them and correct their behavior toward you.

• GEEGEE

You answered your own question. Your last sentence says "they will see in time that I don't need their handouts." More than likely they treat any potential suitors with suspicion/caution, based on experiences when people did try and mooch off of them. The fact that you can and will support their daughter with grace and style should prove your worthiness to them.

• Kelly

Respect is earned, it's not a right of passage. What have you done to earn it?

• Tina

The phrase is 'rite of passage' and doesn't mean what you think it means.

They aren't required to respect you. But they do need to be polite. If they aren't being polite, you need to talk to your fiancee and SHE needs to deal with HER family. Never, ever marry someone who 1) allows their family to treat you like crap; and 2) won't put their family in their place when it's called for.

Your problem is your fiancee, not her family.

• Trish

You both should talk to them. Tell them how you feel and ask them is there reason for you to feel this way or did you misread them.

maybe you can prove them wrong