Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 9 months ago

My fiancée’s family don’t treat me with respect?

They’re a wealthy family and they think I’m marrying their daughter to leech on them. I’m not. I’m marrying her because I love her and I’m capable of providing to myself and my family. Do I need to talk to these people or just ignore them? They will see in time that I don’t need their handouts.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You marry the girl you marry the family.

You had better realize that NOW or you will never be happy in your short, short marriage.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

well then I hope you're paying for the wedding yourself with none of their help

• 8 months ago

Try not to take it (them) all OVER seriously. Make little light jokes about it, even. There is more to life than money!

• 8 months ago

Tell them what you just told us and then prove it actions speak louder than words

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Their daughter is the one who needs to go to them and correct their behavior toward you.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You answered your own question. Your last sentence says "they will see in time that I don't need their handouts." More than likely they treat any potential suitors with suspicion/caution, based on experiences when people did try and mooch off of them. The fact that you can and will support their daughter with grace and style should prove your worthiness to them.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Respect is earned, it's not a right of passage. What have you done to earn it?

• Tina
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The phrase is 'rite of passage' and doesn't mean what you think it means.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

They aren't required to respect you. But they do need to be polite. If they aren't being polite, you need to talk to your fiancee and SHE needs to deal with HER family. Never, ever marry someone who 1) allows their family to treat you like crap; and 2) won't put their family in their place when it's called for.

Your problem is your fiancee, not her family.

• Trish
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

You both should talk to them. Tell them how you feel and ask them is there reason for you to feel this way or did you misread them.

• 9 months ago

maybe you can prove them wrong

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.