digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Fluent speakers of English, I need your help with my English?

I need to translate a paragraph but my English is not very good as I'm not a native speaker. Should I change these lines to make it sound more natural?

Although the Soviet government enforced anti-religious campaigns, it did not resort to extreme measures at that time.

The church was abandoned gradually, and it was only when its physical condition started to cause threats to the students of the nearby school that the decision was made to demolish it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your version is very good, and might pass for being written by a British native speaker.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Again, this is very good and almost correct.

Here's my version.

Although the Soviet government enforced anti-religious campaigns it did not resort to extreme measures at that time.

Attendance at the church dwindled over the years and it was only when its physical condition started to become a danger to the students of the nearby school that the decision was made to demolish it.

To abandon really means to leave completely, to it doesn't quite work here. There isn't a word I could think of which means to leave somewhere over time, so I change your wording a bit!

• 2 months ago

I am also not a native speaker but I can suggest few things,

Although the Soviet government enforced anti-religious campaigns, it didn't resort extreme measures at that time.

The church was abandoned gradually and it was only when its physical condition started to threaten the students of nearby school the decision was made to demolish it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.