My vet recommended I declawed some of my cats toes but I’ve heard this is very painful for them?

So my cat has 10 extra toes, and one grows too long and becomes ingrown if I don’t trim it regularly. I usually bring him to the vet as he doesn’t let me do it at home but car rides are stressful for him. This last time I waited too long and it got infected and the vet recommended a partial declaw of that toe and... show more So my cat has 10 extra toes, and one grows too long and becomes ingrown if I don’t trim it regularly. I usually bring him to the vet as he doesn’t let me do it at home but car rides are stressful for him. This last time I waited too long and it got infected and the vet recommended a partial declaw of that toe and any other with potential to become ingrown. But I’m worried he’ll have a lot of pain and lose his big feet. Would you guys do the surgery (he’d have to stay overnight) or just keep trimming the nail?