Libby asked in PetsCats · 11 months ago

Why does the cat sleep on the baby clothes?

My boyfriend and I are expecting a baby in November, and obviously we have loads of clothes etc ready for him. But his cat keeps sleeping on or near the baby clothes! She sleeps on his bag for when I go into labour and she sleeps next to his clothes on a box we keep in the lounge. Not really a problem to us I don’t think, but I’m just wondering why she does it? And is it actually a problem?

Get rid of it...........

My cat sleeps on any piece of clothing on the bed, even a sock. He can lay anywhere he wants on the bed, but will curl up on even the smallest article if one is present. Cats are just have funny habits.

• Maxi

Cats scent mark their living space, so ANYTHING that absorbs scent which in this case happen to be baby clothes left out, she lies on and it is a form of ownership of her home/territory

• PR

She wants more attention, and wants to be a baby. The cat can probably sense you are pregnant, so wants to be near the things you are now paying attention to, although any new, soft thing is fun for a cat to sleep on! 

She will likely pay special attention to the baby, once it is born, too.

Our cats:

-Love our granddaughter. Our daughter says they lay by her and want to be with her.

-Used to try and sit on the high chair or the children's booster seat.

-Used to sleep in the crib with our daughter.

-Suitcases: One cat used to sit on the suitcase when my husband was getting ready to go out of town, like he wanted to go along!

Cats can sense hormones. They help other cats who are in labor - I have witnessed this. Your cat probably knows something is up, and is trying to be part of it. Be sure to give her a little extra attention once the new addition is brought home - it is hard to be second when kitty likely has had a lot of attention!

No cats just sit on new laundry, new things etc just their strange nature, also its just comfy thats why, put different cleaner clothes out and she will sit there instead