Vicki
Vicki asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Best way for someone VERY out of shape to lose weight?

So, I'm VERY out of shape. I'm only slightly overweight, but I'm very out of shape. I'm like... I walk up a flight of stairs and I get sore and out of breath. I've also got slight back problems (had a spinal fusion), slight hip problems (they took bone from my hip), and haven't really been active in YEARS. I eat a lot of crap - which I'm going to stop doing - and I consume A LOT of pop (again, I'm going to stop altogether). I also have no access to a gym.

So I want to get into overall better shape. But I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The problem is I've been out of shape for so long that running hurts,exercise hurts, my lungs suck... Again, I have to do everything at home.

I'm also interested in keeping my butt, and just toning it. As well, I'm aiming to lose some of the tummy before October 11th as I'm going on a trip with my boyfriend, there will be a hot tub, and I want to look... Better than I do. I've been really down on myself and have had real low self esteem the last little while. I don't remember the last time my boyfriend got to see me naked, and I would like to change it by feeling better about myself and my own body.

Any exercise or diet tips are welcome and encouraged.

Thank you.

• Chris
    Best Answer

Diet and exercise. The answer never changes no matter who asks the question. I have spinal stenosis, polycystic kidney disease and hypothyroidism. Didn't stop me from becoming healthy. When I read your post all I see is excuses.

• Chris
      7 days agoReport

Although there is no God, only Zuul. :) (Ghostbusters quote for ya) 

Did you know that I forced my mom to have an abortion when I was 9 years old? I told her that if she had a baby, that I would kill the baby. She then got an abortion.

• Vicki
      3 weeks agoReport

Oh, hey Andy. Nice to see you here exhibiting more psychotic behaviour. I've reported all your woefully inappropriate comments, yet again. Just letting you know. Have a great day, hope you looked into getting that mental health help I suggested!

• Noah

Workouts thats use more energy burn more fat muscle building with lots of protien!

• Stan

V, The internet is full to bursting with tips. My advice is eat sensibly and exercise, even going for walks or bike riding will drop orf the pounds. Weight loss is all down to discipline.

• y

Depending on how well the spinal fusion actually worked, may dictate what you are even capable of doing. First thing is walking, nothing to strenuous and such, just walk, up and active as much as possible. Depending on your area and such, will dictate the type. Start at 30 minutes a day, see how it goes, then extend it to 45, then an hour. After that you can start working on pace and such. Once comfortable start trails if they are in your area. If you get comfortable with 4 to 6 miles of trails a day, you are ready to move to a gym or start a more strenuous exercises program. Should only take a month or so, not long at all. If you have a dog, it is a perfect excuse. Fusion does not always eliminate the pain, nerve damage if any prior can be permanent.I of course do not know your status in this area. You may be able to do much more much faster, so I laid out a safe approach.