asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

why do so many people drive so fast nowadays and just run you off the road if you are doing the speed limit?

btw, is it the speed limit or speed minimum? I am confused? as if you drive like 10 mph below the "speed limit" you have people just sounding their horns at you like you are just crazy and should be arrested.

I like to slow down and enjoy my drives wherever I am going and look at the scenery.

• Bort
    Best Answer

While it's them breaking the law you have to consider the fact that they have responsibilities they are trying to get to and driving 10 miles under the speed limit because you want to "enjoy the drive" you are actually putting yourself and everyone else around you in danger because you are in the way.

Consider and think about how those people are that are speeding. They're not paying full attention, they're texting on their phone or watching a movie on youtube on their phone or double DIN display or tablet mounted on their dash, they're doing their make-up because they're on their way to work or a fany place for some sort of meeting....they're not being safe. They're not paying attention and could slam in to you killing both of you and all passengers.

Do the speed limit, and stay out of the way. Or use back roads. They're usually prettier and more enjoyable anyway.

Police don't pull a mass of vehicles over that are speeding but doing the same speed because while it's true they are breaking the law by speeding there's a bunch of them doing it, he's only one cop, and for the most part if everyone is doing the same speed and keeping a safe following distance...it's safe to do.

The danger in that situation is a driver like you that's not even doing the speed limit. You are causing a hazard.

Keep up with traffic, cruise back roads, or don't go out on the roads where you know people will be going faster than you're comfortable with during rush hour times for your joy rides. If you're causing a danger / hazard because you're doing 10+ mpg under the speed limit there is such a thing as being pulled over and charged with wreckless driving because you're going to slow.

The main thing I hope you grasp out of this reply is that it's you that's causing the danger. One person (the slow one) is much easier to capture than 6+ people doing 10 mpg over the speed limit that are driving safely other than speeding.

• Shadow Lady

People wouldn't be in a hurry if they left earlier.  

No one "runs anyone off road". Except a bicycle in Miami Beach.

I do 65 as my cars strain at 65, anyway. I usual;ly find a truck doing 65, anyway. No one dares platy-this width an 80,000 lb truck.

On my motorcycle, Id oi tend to do 80. Only because on these Bad roiads, much moire stable.I am Respectfuk of others that want to do oinly 70. Thier Choice.

Anon: it is implied in the Law or posted on many roiads;l that 15 below mean trafgfic speed is illegal. If everyone doing 80 in a 55 zomne and you hold it up by doing 55, YOU wWILL get a ticket.

Because the average person is a total ḟü©ķ1ng [@]$.$.h0(1)ė and/or a brain-dead screen sheep who spends more time looking at their smart(and, let's be honest, we're using the word "smart" VERY generously here)phone screen than they do watching the road. I almost got into two accidents just on my twenty-minute commute to work today -- the first was thanks to some selfish ḟü©ķť@řď who saw my signal, saw me changing lanes, and figured it would be a great idea to floor it and try to ram the back bumper of my truck rather than to simply allow another driver to...*gasp*...change lanes, and the second was due to some mouth-breathing moron who came flying out of a shopping center driveway and right into on-coming traffic without even bothering to look to see if it was clear to enter the roadway (I had to swerve to avoid t-boning that idiot!).

Lax enforcement. Not enough money in our public treasuries to pay for strict traffic enforcement. It all went to corporate welfare and tax breaks for the rich.

• Yes

Yeah, ever since Trump got elected people seemed to have grown some balls, and America has become more lawless. I don't feel safe in this country anymore. America seems to have become the land of Satan, instead of One Nation Under God. People only care about themselves nowadays, it's almost like they're ALL brainwashed or on DRUGS. I think to myself sometimes that these are the last days, I couldn't imagine a lawless country like this getting any worse. The police look the other way when it comes to real crime, but only go after those who are good and just practicing freedom. People drive like they're insane, they're not even late for anything they just do it for "fun". Since most Americans don't get married they're lonely all the time, so they have to find other things to fill in the void that Western culture has created for them. They are pathetic, and they deserve anything bad that happens to them for driving and acting as they do. I always drive with a Bowie knife by my side, so if one of these crazies who think they own the roads get in my face I'll make sure it's the last thing they ever do. I don't care about anyone of you Americans anymore, if you want a piece of me you'll get it!

It may be the speed limit, but here's the problem... going too far under it to the point of disrupting the flow of traffic and other drivers is also an issue and may get a slow driver stopped by a cop.

At the very least, stick to the right lane for most of the duration or side roads with less cars.

• Jerry

Exactly. "Slower traffic keep right" doesn't say anything about speed limits or sensible speeds. Even if everyone else on the road is doing 20, 30, 40 over the limit it doesn't cancel the requirement that the one doing ONLY 10 over the limit keep right.

I was driving from LA to vegas and people honked at me because I was in the middle lane and they thought I was going too slow. I was doing 90 mph.

• Jerry

The law is slower traffic keep right. That means you get over to the right when other drivers want to pass. If you're going the same speed as people to your right, you need to get over to your right. This applies even you're among speed demons; get over for the speedier demons.

• Dze

alot of people are working .. or going to or from work .. a moron with both thumbs up their wazoo rotating them like they have nowhere to be is highly aggravating ..

If it doesn't say "minimum speed" then it isn't a minimum speed.

The speed limit is how fast you can legally go... and most people want to go even faster than that. I see nothing wrong with going 90mph in a residential zone.

same reason people pay half price for illegal aliens to mow their lawns