Shona
Shona asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Laura's Mum was upset that she can't get her hubby to go to cultural things like the ballet. Anyone else in the same boat? What do you do?

We took her to see Cinderella (Northern Ballet) on Friday - she loved it. We have told her we'll include in events like that in the future if she wants.

Best Answer

I am somewhat in that boat, in that I enjoy ballet but my spouse does not. We both enjoy art galleries, and we do go to the theatre but he tends to favour comedies. If there is something on I want to see and he doesn't I just go by myself. I don't think you have to do everything together all the time in a relationship, and I definitely don't think you should let a relationship stop you from doing the things you enjoy. Certainly making other friends who share your interests is good. I don't think it's healthy to be totally reliant on your partner for all socialisation and emotional support.

I'm guessing I'm maybe missing something in this question though, because you word it as though a reader could be expected to know who Laura is, and I don't.

If my husband (NOT my 'hubby') doesn't want to go to the ballet or the cinema or whatever, I ask around to see if a friend would like to go too, and if not, I happily go by myself.

That's what grown-ups do.

I would never want to be in a boat with Laura for obvious reasons. And don't even get me started on her mother. That's another year of lawnmowers, if you know what I mean.

• Cogito

You claim to be "over-educated" but that seems highly unlikely. 

Most of your previous questions make you seem unable to think clearly, unable to understand basic human psychology or to draw reasonable conclusions for yourself.

You also ask the same question several times.

But to answer this question, not everyone likes ballet, opera, orchestral concerts and so on. If that's not someone's cup of tea and they don't want to go, then that's their decision.

When was the last she went to a monster derby rally, a boxing match or a 3 Stooges Movie Marathon night??

• Shona

Never, but Eric doesn't like those things either...