which guitar to buy to practice silently?

I am 27 years old trying to learn Acoustic guitar cuz i love the sound of acoustic guitar, but I reaaly want to learn it and don not want my other family members to disturb much when I am practising , so at the moment I have two choices : either buy the expensive yamaha silent guitar which emulates the acoustic guitar soud or buy a cheap electric guitar for like $100 and practise on that. but i have doubt electric guitar is a differend thing . what should i do? which one hould i pick just to practise?

Many people consider an electric easier to learn on than an acoustic because of easier action, etc (except maybe nylon strung). And you can just play through headphones so nobody will hear it. The sound of a solid body electric guitar played through headphones is quieter than a semi-hollow body or hollow body. I don’t know about that Yamaha silent guitar thing. No experience with that

Get a classical style acoustic. They aren't as loud as a steel string. I do not recommend either the Yamaha silent guitar or a cheap electric. You won't strengthen your hand or fingers as much or develop a good technique. Too bad if people have to hear you when you practice. They should be glad you didn't choose the tuba or drums.

• Tony B

Hernando has given the right answer but if you love the sound of acoustic guitar an electric guitar seems the wrong choice. Guitar is guitar and you can learn on any type but I learnt to play on a standard acoustic and didn't bother anyone with noise. Do you have to play in the same room as other people?

You received two almost-correct responses already so here's the correct answer. You will need three things: a solid-body electric guitar, a headphone amp (such as the Vox AC30 - see link below), and headphones. You plug the headphone amp directly into the output jack of the guitar, plug the headphones into that, and you're good to go for silent playing.

Good luck, and don't forget to get lessons.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects...

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years
  • GA41

Get an electric guitar with an effects petal and headphones.  The effects petal will boost the signal to give you some volume through your headphones.  You don't need the amp if you're only going to practice silently.  The fundamentals of the guitar playing will be the same for the electric and the acoustic.

Get an electric with an amp with headphones