Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 8 months ago

Why do Google posts say colourful stool can be dangerous if it's yellow yet my doctor says yellow stool could be normal?

I have read some posts that yellow stool can be a sign of something serious on the internet yet my doctor says a yellow stool can be normal.

He also said it could be from food I ate.

• e9601:
    Favorite Answer

Never heard that a yellow stool is normal.

Perhaps you don't understand that 'can/could' don't mean the same as 'must'.

• Edna

And of course you believe EVERYTHING that you read on Google on the internet. Google knows more than your doctor -- right?

probably cause yellow aint colorful

• Goerge

foods and medications can change the color/consistency of stool. It is best to err on the side of caution should there be a possible issue. White stool can suggest a gull bladder issue(little to no bile). Then again.... Always best to talk to a doctor about any concerns. Self diagnosis or Y.A.! diagnosis can be dangerous.

It all depends on the cause.  If its from food, its normal. If its cased by lack of bile pigments, its a symptom of a medical problem.  In the US, the vast majority of cases of yellow stool are from gallbladder problems.  Yellow from food is a rare exception.