i found a car that is $9,998 but what will be total after the total fees?

I get confused how much the dealer fees tags and Taxes etc

i want a reliable car! that wont break down the road lol

i live in indiana

Dealers charge doc fees of anywhere from $299-699 or more. Tax can run 3-10%. Tag costs usually $20-100. Tax & Tag are not profit centers but doc fees are almost entirely profit. When I was a dealer I was allowed to charge $1.50 extra over & above the cost of the title by the state. Now, it might be $3??

When I heard about so many dealers charging doc fees, I started to do it and I was amazed at how few people even mentioned it. In a few cases, customers refused to pay them and I refused to remove them but I did come down on the price by the amount of the doc fee. If I did not want to lose a sale over it.. Someone told me to never cross it out and charge it to everyone. Most dealers are not going to remove it either but they might come down some on the price.

I'm a car dealer, but I'm in Texas so fees may be a little different from my state to yours.  When you buy from a car dealer, you have to pay the dealer for the fees associated with the tax, title, licensing, registration, etc... because the dealer is "deputized" by the state to act on it's behalf on collecting such fees.  The dealer will then do all the paperwork on your behalf, and you will receive your title, registration, etc. in the mail.  You do not have to pay a visit to the DMV.  However, there is no free lunch.  You have to pay for this, in the form of a dealer fee.  The dealer is permitted to charge an additional fee as compensation for this service.  You could try to negotiate with the dealer, to reduce or eliminate the fee.  Some of them will, but I don't.  I treat everyone the same, else I might get accused of discrimination.  There is a way around the other fees, temporarily.  That is to buy a car from a dealer in another state.  The dealer must then waive the fees associated with the registration.  You will have to sign an affidavit in which you swear that you will title/register the vehicle in another state.  Failing to do so is a felony (at least in Texas).  Depending on the laws of your state of residency, you will have a certain number of days to title and pay tax for your new vehicle.  I hope this help!

• Jay P

I'm sure you can figure out the taxes portion but if you're buying from a dealer, they will likely have various fees and charges they tack on to each vehicle sale.

Just remember that these dealer fees are negotiable...