Would people behave better on this site if you could see who is giving the thumbs up and down? (it's done on other sites that I know)?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

I've seen that idea proposed before, and I think that doing so might compel some users not to be so flippant about down-voting answers, but essentially, this site is a sinking ship and has been on its way out for a long time now. 

The fact that there have been some changes, such as the removal of Level 7 users' ability to move questions, the implementation of a new layout, etc., are not signs that things are improving. The numbers speak for themselves. Only a small portion of the people on these forums are longtime users, and most longtime users don't post many questions, they tend to answer them, thus the quality of the content has suffered tremendously. 

Add to that the fact that the use of the anonymous function has got completely out of hand. It makes little sense considering that any user can set his or her account to receive e-mail alerts notifying them of the respondent's screen name, so people cannot really and truly answer "anonymously" at all anymore, or rather, they can, but the asker him or herself would know which user it was; however that wouldn't do anything to stop people from posting questions anonymously, which is the bigger issue. 

Most people are not here for knowledge - the wide majority are here to make others miserable with their childish antics, and they couldn't care less whether or not they're reported. If their account is terminated, they'll simply create a new one and get right back to trolling. 

At the bare minimum, what needs to be done is to revamp the site so that once you've blocked someone, they can't down-vote each and every single one of your posts, which tends to happen when some immature troll has it in for you. But I'd readily support any proposal to make up-votes and down-votes public knowledge. Doing so would also cut down on people with multiple sock-puppet accounts up-voting their own answers in the hope that the asker chooses theirs as best. 

• megalomaniac

I'd like to do away with the anonymous and blocking features entirely (those do more to encourage trolling than to prevent them).  I don't have much hope for that though because they seem more interested in cosmetic appearance than substance or moderation.

I agree with @oldprof that people who thumb down should give a reason. They don't need to write an essay; just say briefly why they did it.

• Zirp

If facebook is anything to go by, the answer is NO

No.

No that wouldnt affect a whole lot.

Source(s): nothing
  • No, it been tried and failed. The best thing they could do is get rid of both the thumb ups and downs. Those who give the best answers do it to their friends, people they like, people who agree with them, or just cheat and give it to one of their other accounts.

No,because Yahoo did that in the past and it was a failure.

• .

The only behavior that would change, is how many TU/TDs an answer got.It wouldn't have any effect on the content posted.

I think anonymity is better because it encourages honest answers. But I also think a comment should be required when a thumbs down is given. Then at least everyone would know why the thumbs down was awarded.

• megalomaniac

I don't agree.  I think that the anonymous feature does more to encourage trolls than to encourage honesty.  People are much less likely to be dishonest when they are anonymous.

• Daniel

I Doubt It I think if that Happen it would make Cyber Bullying worse

People would behave better if you can see their real information