Could elements of Pathfinder's Lovecraftian creatures and deities be integrated into 5e Dungeons and Dragons world and cosmology?

I like the concept of integrating Cthulhu Mythos into D&D and I happen to like 5e D&D the most. The problem is that Old Ones and Outer Gods along with Lovecraft inspired creatures aren't mentioned as much in 5e. Pathfinder has them in spades but it has key differences in lore and other things. I want my multiverse to retain most of the things in 5e cosmology and such but with the mentioned items added.

• Huh?

Yes, of course. The Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and other entities appeared in the first edition of AD&D's 'Deities and Demigods', although they made quite a lot of mistakes in the descriptions.

You would just have to decide how you wanted them to fit into your game world - for instance, are the Outer Gods really the supreme beings in the cosmos as Lovecraft tended to suggest, or are they just one set of gods amongst many? Yog-Sothoth would be a good patron deity for villainous wizards, as would Nyarlathotep - etc.

• Samuel9 months agoReport

I personally would consider them the equivalent of Aberrations to Gods. Azathoth would probably be Chaotic Neutral and Nyarlathotep would be Chaotic Evil in my book.

It would be easy to add things. Gather the details you want from Pathfinder and you can say that the Great Old Ones make a big push into your 5e world.

You can base an entire campaign of you adding more and more Cthulhu while your players try to stop them.

Easily. In fact they are on a regular basis. The whole design of Mindflayers for example is based on Lovecraftian mythos.

This sort of thing has been in D&D long before Pathfinder ever existed.

Hell, in 5e Warlocks have the option of "Great Old One" Patrons.