Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 month ago

Can I use hand soap to clean the mouthpiece of my clarinet ?

1 week ago

vinegar and a shammy rag maybe but be sure to clean the rag first

try therabreath. soak it in enough of the stuff to cover it,let sit a good half hour

• Me2

Dove bar soap works well to clean mouthpieces, and rinses off completely, unlike many other bar soaps and some liquid soaps.  In general, liquid detergent for hand-washing dishes is preferred.  Do not immerse any part except the mouthpiece in water.

A mouthpiece requires special care.  First grease the cork fairly well.  Use a soft toothbrush or similar to scrub.  Don't force anything through the mouthpiece by pushing or pulling.  Avoid damaging the tip (even a small nick affects playability) or scratching the inside.

After a thorough rinse, apply hand sanitizer, 50% to 99% alcohol (propyl, isopropyl, or ethyl), or Sterisol germicide to sterilize, wait a minute or so, and wipe dry.  If the mouthpiece has an odor, put it cork end up in a glass or mug, fill with vinegar to just below the cork, wait 30 minutes, and rinse.

One of my compatriots applies a little food-safe or medical-grade mineral oil to a sponge swab, and pulls it through the instrument a couple of times, and similarly lightly oils the mouthpiece inside and out.  The amount of oil is very small, just enough that a sheen is visible.  He was shown this by an instructor during his university studies, and I'd guess that the practise is not uncommon.

[ EDIT:  Via a brief consult with different clarinetist, I found that commercial products called "bore oil" are widely used.  It is essential to never use a "drying oil" such as linseed, tung, or walnut oils. ]

if youre not sure i wouldnt use it

I would have staying from using hand soap because it's going to leave a bad taste. I tell you what works really good though Listerine mouthwash.

Sure, why not? Of course you'll rinse it off good because you don't want the soapy taste on the mouthpiece.

Source(s): Played woodwinds in a variety of bands.

Yes, the mouthpiece is plastic. Liquid soap is better than soap.

• Mine is made of wood :0
      Even if it was made of plastic or rubber, soap can still damage the mouthpiece over time, if used consistently. Its not really the safest way to go.
      Also, plastic and wood may absorb toxic substances from the soap over time so just... its not a good idea.

there is a liquid soap called soft soap which is better washes it faster