Electric guitar buzzing when screws for switches touched.?

I recently bought Burns Brian May signature pickups to put in a red special copy and wired the whole thing exactly as on the diagram provided which shows the wiring of May's original guitar. When plugged in, the guitar buzzes loudly, and goes even louder when touching any of the screws for the switches, but is muted when touching any other bit of metal. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

• Danny

A. Check grounds on everything metal. A single failed solder point or one wire in the wrong place could account for your problem.

B. Recheck your work, especially if you've either just started doing wiring mods - or have been doing them for a long time (overconfident).

C. Contact Burns for customer/tech support.

D. Revert the guitar to the way it was before. I'm not familiar with a "red special copy" guitar, but it may be a copy in appearance only, not in components or wiring.

Do not play this instrument near standing water, until you get it fixed. Not the kind of "blaze of glory" you want to go out in.

• Danny
      1 month agoReport

Dear one, 'not to worry. Electric guitar people expect this kind of aggravation on occasion, but the tiny power levels on board are not a general safety issue.

• Tony B

The only things I could suggest is that somewhere there is a ground and a hot that have been reversed, or that something that is supposed to be grounded isn't.

It’s a complex wiring system to have to check but I think that's the only answer.