Do theists know deep down that god doesn't exist? Please include in your answer if you believe in a creator or not?

I was raised catholic, and throughout my childhood there was the same nagging part in my brain for santa, the easter bunny and god. Deep down, even when I was a young child I knew he didn't exist. Do you think this exists in all christians? I think it would be interesting to hear an answer both from theists and atheists.

Favorite Answer

Very much like you I was raised a Christian and very devoted to God. I didn't as a child because I totally believed in him and Santa and never once questioned it. I got presents on Christmas Eve, my letter from Santa always "mysteriously" disappeared from under my pillow - that was enough evidence right? I never questioned the other possibilities which were actually facts. My Mum knew it was there because that is where she had told me to put my letter. My presents came from my parents.

And even though the idea of Santa came. Then in my late teens things started getting through. Things Atheists would say that would make me think. I follow the Bible with nothing but faith is was inspired by God. Religion is pure faith with no evidence. Then you have all the other religions of the world.

After deciding to explore a bit more in secret I looked into History and Science for five years until I finally had to admit I didn't believe and truly hadn't for some time. I don't believe in God anymore or in the Bible and I'm a bit embarrassed that I ever did because it now sounds like the story of Santa and the Easter Bunny - kids stuff. Religion requires an imagination and an ignorance of other possibilities and the ability to accept things on the grounds of "because".

There is no God. Was no Jesus. The Bible is just a story. That feels so weird to say but as I write it that statement feels true to me. It doesn't feel wrong in anyway. 50% of my life as a Christian felt wrong. I felt like I knew I was following false claims and beliefs but for some reason I just couldn't admit it at the time. And that comes from the girl who got mocked for refusing to do Biology at school because of my beliefs.

Nope. Nobody knows that. One simply cannot know there is no God, much less prove it. Reason, logic, and evidence do not and cannot support atheism.

Yes, I know that God lives and loves us all, through my own experiences with him. I have seen miraculous healings in response to prayer. It wasn't my imagination that did those things.

No, you didn't -- and you do not -- know that God doesn't exist. Think again, pard. Every year millions experience him for themselves. You should, too. It's the logical thing to do. Don't bother moving the goalposts. It's more evidence than atheists have to shore up their pretense that there is no God.

• Misty

Deep down most know its all BS but fear keeps them in line.

Deep down I have always known that YHVH GOD exists and that He is the Creator of the world and everything that is in it.

• Doug

Time to grow up. The time for salvation is now. Don't "blow it".

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org

I was raised secular, but always had the inkling that there was more to reality than the natural world. After I had the chance to study various belief systems (including secular philosophies) I realised that the Biblical model of reality is, by far, the most consistent with what I observe and experience. So I became convinced Christianity is truth, and converted.

After decades living as a Christian, that impression has been reaffirmed to me countless times (on a near daily basis). So apart from recognising the logical possibility that I could be wrong, I am certain that the Creator represented in the Bible exists.

As a born again Christian, I know with certainty deep down that God exists. It’s not even a question in the back of my mind. I experience His reality in my daily life. Having a religious belief system and practices do not provide any evidence of God’s existence, but an intimate relationship with Him as His beloved child does.

How do you have a relationship like that? Tell Him you want it, that you want His Holy Spirit to help you know Him as He is. As you read the bible, ask Him to give you revelation of who He is, how He sees you, and His love and grace for you.

• Paul

See, here's your problem. You view Santa, the Easter Bunny and God similarly, because you have not met any of them. Of course, you can't meet Santa or the Easter Bunny, and neither can anyone else, since they don't exist. However, hundreds of millions of intelligent people have met God, come to know Him over time, and live in daily relationship and communication with Him. Which should tell any rational person that God MUST exist.

• Jea

Of course they know it.

How could any modern adult not know it?

• Hogie

I hear this a lot from ex Catholics. The religion actually convinces them there is no God. Their rote and ritual is devoid of anything truly spiritual.