:) asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 12 months ago

guys i need help with a history essay;;; what was the UN's response to the khmer rouge? i tried everything but i still dont get it.?

• John P
    Favorite Answer

I cannot answer specifically about the UN responses, but as I recollect from news reports of the time seen by me in Britain, the Khmer Rouge went about killing people (especially socially upper-class people and professionals such as doctors) for about 4 years, from 1975 to 1979, without much intervention from the outside world. The idea was to establish a pure communist state, with no decadent hang-overs of non-communism.

Don't forget that Cambodia is right next to Vietnam, and the USA has just been beaten in Vietnam (war finished 1975), so it did not want any further involvement in that part of the world. The USA was at that time by far the biggest military nation with general "presence" in the western Pacific and surrounding areas, thus naturally a nation much called on by the UN for military intervention in conflicts in that area.

I hope that my memories of that time have been some help to you.

Check out this website http://essaysshop.com