Has any attempt ever been made to "capture" a cloud?

Like I mean what if we got a plane to fly into a cloud and the plane has a large hi-powered vacuum scoop at the front to suck the entire cloud inside?

We could compress it right down so that it fits in a jar, it would be the only one in existence. It would be worth a fortune, people would travel from everywhere to see the "cloud in a jar".

Is it possible or do the physics prevent it?

Best Answer

Well, yes, people have done that, sort of. There's a researcher at the Univ. of Californa, San Diego, who has collected samples of various kinds of clouds by pretty much the means you're talking about -- but not "whole" clouds. She needs only a sample of each one for the kind of research she's doing.

If you condensed a cloud into a jar, it would be a jar of water. Best to fill the jar with water and then just tell people it is a cloud.

We all 'breathe' clouds all the time. The gaseous environment of our lungs requires a lot of moisture to protect the lung tissue such that, on a cold day, we exhale clouds.

I can pour myself a glass of cloud right out of my kitchen faucet

• roger

Not many people are going to pay money to see water in a jar.

you will be better of going after lighting bugs

I already have that. It is called bottled water (with impurities).

I don’t think it’s possible.

Your "cloud in a jar" would be a jar full of water. Really not that exciting.

• Imagine yourself 99 percent of the way to an orgasm and somebody sticks a cloud in a jar in front of you!!!
      You will go into orbit!!!

Use a mason jar and try to capture a cloud.