Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 2 months ago

Question? Should a teen work for their car since I had to? Or should it be given because I don’t want them to struggle like I had to ?

Should a teen work for their car since I had to? Or should it be given because I don’t want them to struggle like I had to ?

Kids need to be educated in the value of a dollar.  The also need to appreciate what they have, learn to take care of it and not just expect daddy to buy them a new car if they wreck this one.  They don't have to get a job and pay for the car themselves, but maybe some compromise where they pay for part of it or do extra chores to work for it.

There is no right or wrong answer here...and that's the problem.

Whether the family can afford the car comes into play here too....

I'd rather my kids focus on school and not a job while in high school, so I'll buy them cars...just like my parents did for me.

Finding work as a teen is not easy these days as the low skill/low pay jobs are all taken by displaced workers from higher professions. Make your child work harder at school and give them the car if you have the means.

Well, your ancestors (back in caveman days) had to poop on the ground and run away from sabre tooth tigers. Maybe you should have to do that, if you want everybody to live like their ancestors did.

• Erik

Just give it to them, cars are too expensive for a teen to afford, even if they work at some crappy job. They are going to need all their money for gas and insurance anyway.

• Judith

If they aren't required to help buy the car then they should at least have to cover the increase in the auto insurance and buy the gas. I do not think it should be given them without strings attached - not good for their character. Just because it might have been hard for you doesn't mean you have to make everything easy for your children because then they become entitled and expect everything to be handed to them. Parents should be teaching kids that that isn't the case - they must EARN what they get.

So much depends upon family finances, how responsible the teen is, how well they do in school.

base it on performance... are they doing well in school, like actually trying, or are they just goofing off... go off of that.