YKhan
YKhan asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Does anyone else think that front-loading washing machines are BS?

Yes, yes, it is done this way because of a desire for "High Efficiency", so it seems to use up a bit less water so what? With the top loading washers you could always add a few extra clothes after the cycle had already started. And it seems to me that the side-loading machines would be prone to leaking out through the door creases once the seals have gotten a bit old. What do you think?

• elhigh
    Best Answer

With current front-loading machines, adding clothes after the cycle has started is nothing. You press a button, wait a moment for the DOOR LOCKED light to turn off, open it and throw in whatever it was you found hiding under the bed. Shut the door, press START again and walk away.

If this is your entire complaint I have to think that maybe you're stuck in the past. Top loading machines have locks on their lids now, too - they are no more convenient than the front load machines.

Wait - did you think that the water level is higher than the bottom of the door and that the machine couldn't be opened at all? No. That's commercial machines, not residential ones.

Door seals wear out? Okay, maybe...except my Maytag Neptune, when I finally got rid of it after using it for 15 years, had never leaked once - not from the tub, not from any shaft seals, and not from the door. My LG is now about five years old and is similarly leak-free.

I have had top load machines that needed new tub seals. That requires completely disassembling the entire washing machine. It is NOT a job for the faint of heart, so I can see how you might not be familiar with the process.

The only BS here is your take on the equipment. You're wrong.

I will not ever have a front load washer due to my back. It's bad enough I have to lean over to empty the dryer, but at least those clothes are dry and not wet and heavy. They are pretty though. My current washer I bought in 2010 and it is energy efficient meaning it has a sensor that determines the amount of water to use for each load so no wasted water. You have to be sure you get the amount of detergent right. The only downside to that is you cannot add anything once the cycle starts, which for me isn't a big deal.

I live in a very old house where the wash machine is in the kitchen.

When you have a front loader, it really does help.

I wouldn't call them BS but I definitely prefer top loading machines.

I ll stick with top loaders.

• babycakes4 weeks agoReport

I tried the front loader thing. I had a very high end one. It was beautiful, but keeping the seal clean and opening the door was a pain cause we had to walk past it. I now have an LG top loader. I still leave it open after I use it to keep it dry and fresh, but the door isn’t in the way.

I can pause mine and add more **** to it.

• YKhan
      4 weeks agoReport

How do you prevent water from falling out if you open the door to add more clothes?

• drip

No. I think they are great.

You know top load machines now lick once the wash cycle starts. So that point is moot. And most top load are now He with low water levels.

No they don’t leak. I have had my front load for years with no problems

• chris

"Space saving" is the key!

I have two sets of front load stackable washers and dryers. I liked the top loaders because you could get ones big enough to do comforters, but with the space available, I can do twice the laundry at one time with my current setup in the same amount of space.

Source(s): I have 5 adopted kids and space is a luxury.

It also depends on how much space you have. A front loader can go under a worktop, you can't do that with a top loader.

• Satan

There's a Samsung front loading washing machine which has a little door in the front loader to add the last minute pair of socks

Admittedly, the old washing machines were built to last and were easier to repair.

The new ones are quieter, more efficient, smaller and can easiliy be adjusted for the load thats being washed

• mokrie

I think if the machine ever breaks down while it's full of soap water it could get real messy. I prefer top loaders myself. I don't trust the new front loaders.

• Robert J
      1 month agoReport

New?? They have been around something like 80 years!

It is now a well matured technology.