Is AWD that effective in the snow?

I drive a 2018 Civic FWD CVT and I have gotten stuck in snow about 5 times last winter using all season tires. I was thinking  just getting the CRV since its awd AND HAS higher ground clearance but in the summer I heard with no snow that AWD gets horrible gas milage.

also I heard AWD with winter tires is the best way to go. With all wheels driving I heard that it will get better traction or something? I mean the Civic has traction control but not sure how it works

• Jay P
    Best Answer

You're glossing over the only part of the vehicle that in in actual contact with the road...the tires!

A full set of winter tires does wonders for traction. My FWD vehicle, with 4 snow tires, does very well in the snow. My wife's car, which is AWD, and is also equipped with 4 winter tires, does even better...

AWD vehicles are heavier compared to their 2 wheel drive counterparts and also have more moving parts so fuel economy does suffer due to the added weight and frictional losses. How much more fuel they use depends on the model of vehicle.

Why not try FWD with winter tires instead?  Maybe that is all you need. Just better tires  than what you are driving on now?

. It is cheaper...than a new car.

• M.

Here is an interesting video that shows some different characteristics of 4WD and AWD:

https://youtu.be/U0c0z0W6aEE

Youtube thumbnail

At the end he says that having the windshield wipers on will have an effect on the system.

Who would have known?

All season tires have different tread patterns depending on the manufacturer. If there are no cleats in the tires they won't grip the snow.

AWD doesn't cause that much mileage loss and is worth having if it snows a lot by you.

If you can afford another set of steel rims and Winter tires it's worth having them.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Geo

You're thinking 4 Wheel Drive, they do get pretty bad mpgs. AWD is a FWD vehicle with a rear Coupling that only engages when the front wheels slip. Subarus have the most proven AWD system in the World. But other automakers are joining in because people want them. AWD is the way to go if it rains or snows a lot. ANY slick pavement or dirt or gravel roads are better handled by AWD. And the mpg penalty is minimal. Around 2.

• F

Subarus are permanent all wheel drive (except RWD BRZ). All four wheel are always connected to the drive train. Most other AWD cars and crossovers (Golf R,Honda CRV, RAV4 etc) are as you say.

• Ron

A bit of research on your part would inform you of what kind of mileage other vehicles get. A bit of research on your part would help you decide what kind you need for where you live. Either put some real snow tires or stop being lazy and toss some cables on it.

Of course AWD will be more effective. Going isn't the problem. Stopping is

• Ron

Says the Donald trump supporter from canada

• George

Do you believe EVERYTHING you hear?

My Crosstrek gets 40mpg highway when I baby it. 35mpg highway otherwise. It is ******* awesome in the snow.

I have a Nissan Pathfinder. It has 2wd, 4wd on demand and low range 4wd. I never got stuck in snow. A lot depends on driving skills, how much snow is involved, and the terrain. No matter what you drive, go easy. people have damaged transmissions by trying to get out of impossible situations.

• P

AWD will definitely keep you from getting stuck and you won't need the winter tires. However if you get winter tires for your Civic it would very likely solve your winter problems without trading your car in since winter tires make a huge difference. It's not just about the tread on the tire, winter tires use a different type of rubber that can better grip ice.  The CRV is a much bigger car and has worse gas mileage than your Civic even without AWD.    Otherwise AWD systems add a little weight to cars which worsens gas mileage, however many cars now use more efficient AWD systems that only reduce your gas mileage by 2-3 mpg.   After going to an AWD car myself I would never go back since it gives me less tire spin in dry\wet\cold conditions too, but I do tend to go with cars with bigger engines.  

• P

You can always add winter tires to a AWD car, but you can't add AWD to a car that doesn't have it.  Regardless I've found that the typical all season tire on a SUV stops better than a typical all season tire on a car. Sure winter tires will always be better, but not everyone wants to deal with them.